Free Scan and Windows 10 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Recently got a new computer with Windows 10 and I cannot get Freescan to connect to the scanner. I use a Gigaware serial/USB cable with the Uniden cable which worked fine on my Windows 7 PC. Here is what happens. With everything connected I try to upload programming to scanner and I get this message;

Freescan was unable to detect any available COM ports. Make sure the port is not in use, it is COM15 or less, and that you have USB-com port drivers installed if applicable.

I have checked in device manager multiple times that the drivers for this cable are up to date. So from here I check device manager. Under ports (COM and LPT) it shows USB to serial cable (COM3). If I click on that a window opens that says This device cannot start (Code 10). A device which does not exist was specified.

I am at a loss as to why this USB/Serial cable will not work? It is several years old and my only guess is that it may just not be compatible with Windows 10. If that's the case then it's time to get a new cable but I'd like to exhaust all options with this one first. Thanks for any help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This isn't a FreeScan issue - it's more likely to be a driver issue.

Just because the drivers worked under Win7 does not guarantee that they will work under Win10. Windoze 10 is very finicky, from what I've read, about drivers. If that Gigaware cable is using an older PL2303 chipset, it's not going to like it. This started with Win8.x and has continued on with Win10

Time to go to the Gigaware website and find Win10 compatible drivers. If there aren't any, time for a new cable.

You might also profit by reading some of the Win8 discussions that have gone on with very similar issues; they are linked at the bottom of,,,

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

MIke

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike. I'm by no means an expert but my hunch tells me it's new cable time.

tamsystems

FreeSCAN not compatible with Windows 10???

They do not list Windows 10 as being compatible with the latest version of FreeSCAN software.

Anyone have any information to the contrary?

Jon22

I have been running FreeSCAN 2.18-beta6 under Windows 10 for over a year with no problems.

Dark_Side

1. Run as Administrator if you have a problem
*You may need your Admin Password*

2. Install from hard drive
*some time usb Drives issues arise*

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
If you have an older cable as I do all you need to do is enable windows 10 to allow unsigned drivers.
https://youtu.be/StkR3D2d5WI

Windows likes to install the latest driver automatically that doesn't work, the older driver works fine for ppa 3312 cable, I use device manager and select the cable and tell it to browse for the driver I want to use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.