Need help with scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwaydriver59

Premium Subscriber
I am using a hustler DCL base antenna on a uniden BCD396T scanner. My problem is that it will not pick up any of the trunk systems in my area but will pick up all kinds of analog signals. However if I use the rubber duckie antenna in the house it works good on the trunk sys. Any ideals what to do ???

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with the Hustler antenna but what you tell us about the rubber duck antenna receiving just fines means the Hustler is not tuned for a trunked system. Most trunked systems can be received just fine on the duck unless they are quite distant. Then the chances even with a base antenna are going to be slim.

Good luck

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hustler vs. rubber duck

The antenna is actually called the Dicone & is not one of the higher quality monitoring antennas for the now prevelant 800.0 MHz+ spectrum, If you have ever seen one you can understand why Hustler would dare try & pass it off as a real discone even though they claim it receives between 40.0 MHz to 999.0 MHz, check RR WIKI in the antenna section & research finding a real antenna that would recieve at least up to 1.2 GHz that way the trunked systems would be well within the antennas receiving range.
FLRAILMAN

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I just looked at a DCL online and it looks like there is no portion of the antenna that is vertical at all, just three elements that stick out horizontially and then the three elements going down off of the center load. I've never had any luck with Hustler products over 400MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.