Splitter has 8 ports, I need more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolant113

I currently have 8 scanners hooked up to my PCT MA28PN RF Amplifier. The wire coming in from the antenna is LMR 400. I would like to add another splitter/amplifier to this, however I am not sure how to go about doing it. If I hook another one of these up to the current amplifier will it decrease the quality on the second one? Just looking for the options I have here and looking for some ideas.

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WDR94U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rbm

If you already have enough signal, you can try this.

I have 5 ST2 antennas among others.
I feed as many as 32 scanners/radios, and a TV from two of them.
Each of those two antennas feed two of these.

Shown below is what I use for 16 radios.
(You can click on it to see the larger image.)

If need be, you can experiment with variable or relatively low gain pre-amps
The options are way too much typing and reading for here.
If you need any specifics on that, I could give you the 'short version' of one way or another,if you want it.

Rich

This is a portable version (with a cheap pre-amp and voltage block) that I've used to take with me to friends houses for them to see how it works for them.

Ubbe

You probably put the gear together very quickly just for the photo shot, so I assume that in real use you have the power injector and amplifier swithed around.
The splitter usually attenuate 15-25dB between the two ports at the left side and only 4dB to the single port at the right side.

/Ubbe

rbm

You probably put the gear together very quickly just for the photo shot, so I assume that in real use you have the power injector and amplifier swithed around.
The splitter usually attenuate 15-25dB between the two ports at the left side and only 4dB to the single port at the right side.

/Ubbe

No, I put that together around 4 years ago.
I don't even have it any longer.

The pre-amp and power block could be mounted closer to the antenna.
Voltage was supplied by a wall-wart connected to the power injector.

That was used to take to with me for others to try.

The ones I have in my den on my other scanners have good, low noise, 'expensive', pre-amps between them.

Rich

mule1075

Feed Provider
]

You would be surprised about how well those cheap splitters work.And before you chime in an ask yes I have used better or expensive as well.I have a 8port and a 4port Stridsberg.And for receive only the 75ohm to 50ohm argument is only that the loss is nil.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
75 ohm stuff works just fine on scanners. High quality TV amps and splitters work very well on scanners, they cover very similar general frequency ranges. Impedance is not a real issue.

While I generally use Stridsbergs (I have a half dozen of them) I have often used TV gear and had great results. I have a Wingard distribution amp and a couple different splitters and they work great.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
A multicoupler is really a simple device. Basically a power divider and amplifier.

Often times you will see something along the lines of an 8 port divider and a pre-amplifier. In order to have neutral gain, you will need 9 dB of gain from the pre-amp (conservation of energy). To add more ports, you'd require two 8 port dividers and a 2 port divider. The output of the pre-amp goes into the 2 port divider and the 8 port dividers will connect to the two port divider. You will now need an extra 3 dB of gain to allow for neutral gain however.

Take that a different route. Say you instead connect another 8 port to one of the ports of the existing 8 port. You will now loose a total of 18 dB through the system so if you pre-amp has a gain of 9 dB your 7 available ports on your primary divider will have a neutral gain while taking a 9 dB total loss on the secondary divider.

wtp

and

i have used a slpitter in reverse.
two antennas into a splitter and into one radio and also tried the TV.
it works fine.
for the local TV ch 11 i had too small a signal and with this setup i could get them.
and signal wise it was close enough that if a car went down the road, and in between us, the TV went quiet.
living at the end of the road meant i did not need a doorbell.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I am going to be running into a similar situation soon. I currently have 2 electroline 0 loss splitters. Is there any reason why I couldn't put the 2nd splitter behind the first one?

Status
Not open for further replies.