1 Antenna to double band mobile and scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JMC

I want to hang an antenna in the attic for a mobile I'll get that will be 2m/440 and I'd like to use the same antenna for my scanner. Basically want to run one coax through wall. I've been looking at duplexers and the concept seems like it would work but with them being for specific bands that would be the issue with them. Anyone know of a duplexer with wider bands like one for 2m/440 and the other for all to run to my scanner? Or is there something other than a duplexer that would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No.

When you key up the ham radio you will fry the scanner.

Use separate antennas and separate coax. Even then, you'll need to make sure the antennas are separated. You'll want at least 1/2-wavelength between them to avoid interaction between the antennas and possibly more to prevent the mobile from frying the scanner input.

N5JMC

So I had some antennas installed on my truck. 2 NMO mounts and a Laird WPD136C-001 on the back one and a cheaper in the front for Scanner. Basically I just need the antennas to be a few feet apart and I'll be ok right? And I can run the 2 coax cables down same spot in wall if I use good cable as well right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
For a house installation get more separation. If you don't fry the scanner, you'll desense it less if they're further apart. Also, the more separation, the more power you can run on the ham radio, and the less the antennas will interact with each other to cause directionality and such.

prcguy

The original Discone design uses solid sheet metal for the top disc and bottom skirt. They found you could make the Discone with wire or rods and 16 rods for the disc and 16 for the skirt would emulate a solid sheet metal version. Some high end versions have 12 rods for the disc and skirt and 8 is considered pretty good. Most low cost scanner Discones like Radio Shack and others use 6 rods for the disc and skirt.

Now we get to the Hustler DCX Discone, it has 3 rods for the disc and skirt and the least ever used on a Discone by anybody. I don't even think it qualifies to be called a Discone and it is the worst performing antenna with the Discone label I have ever used.

For about the same amount of money you can get an actual Discone under the Tram or Workman brand and they work well for the price.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.