10 Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coojo81480

Topeka PD and Shawnee Sheriff use their own "Signal" codes instead of the usual APCO 10-codes. Example, Signal 63 is a car stop. Signal 65 is a medical emergency, Signal 32 is a juvenile.

Topeka Fire, not to be outdone- uses 10-9 to show they are back in quarters instead of 10-19 per the APCO codes. Signal 99 means nothing is showing, Signal 1 is a fire the units enroute can handle and Signal 2 is a fire that can't be handled with the resources responding.

I will try to get a copy of the PD codes onto the site this week.

I have heard TPD or sheriff give 10 codes like 10-77 and other such numbers. What codes would these be and what do they stand for, I haven't found any info on them.

mgolden2

The 10-codes, for the most part, vary from agency to agency, so there isn't a list that fits everywhere. Because of this, the easiest way to determine what each 10-code means is to listen listen listen and try to figure out the meaning from the context. In fact, APCO now states that the best practice is to not use 10-codes because they are not universal and in a mass casualty incident no one wants a bunch of poice agencies working together and speaking different lanuages because of the 10-codes.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

tipster67

While yes APCO did make these recommendations, it actually came from the 9/11 commission. I can even remember an incident back in Virginia which blew up due to a Capitol Police officer being in Virginia, about 120 miles from the Capitol. He was using his radio asking for a 10-13.. It was only caught by a scanner listener. He was transmitting on a very old freq that was no longer in use it that part of Virginia. The poor officer was broken down on a mountain trail way back in the sticks.. His 10-13 call was what they used to call for a tow truck at the Capitol. The problem was in that part of the state a 10-13 was an "Officer under attack". Yeah, boy did that go real well.. Helicopter called to search, SWAT teams mobilize, every free officer in the western part of the state was inbound.. That was just ONE example of why to 10 codes was a mistake. And there were many more found at the WTC and Pentagon. So what was suggested and highly recommended, was the use of "Plain Speech". It is used in a lot of places, but is no way near being universal..

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
It seems a lot of the older Mid West and East coast PD and SD have a group of similar 10-codes. Out in the West coast and South West many seem to be the same. 10-23 in the East is arriving on scene. Then in the newer departments and out West 10-97 is arriving on scene.

pgnsucks

I would start with the APCO codes then work from there. Radio 10 codes are there like Alpha-Numeric for Clear Concise communication. Having worked a console in the Southern states the codes are not that radically different from other areas.

In open/spoken word communication information can be confusing. 10 codes just clarify & shorten communications. Clear & Concise that is all the road unit and dispatcher are interested in it's always worked that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.