15 yrs away from scanning need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate26

I've been away from scanning for awhile,the guy at our only electronics store says only the trx 1/2 will work in are area,I asked about the sds 200 an he doesn't carry that one an said it won't work in are area,I've been watching videos on both an they can scan the same channels,Is one better than the other?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Hard to give you an answer if we don't know where you are located or what you are trying to listen to.

russbrill

I've been away from scanning for awhile,the guy at our only electronics store says only the trx 1/2 will work in are area,I asked about the sds 200 an he doesn't carry that one an said it won't work in are area,I've been watching videos on both an they can scan the same channels,Is one better than the other?

The Uniden SDS-100 and SDS-200 will work ANYWHERE you live in the USA... In some areas both models maybe over kill if your local government agencies don't use a Digital Simulcast Radio System. You'll need to find out what radio systems are in use in your particular area to best determine what to purchase..

Nate26

I'm in Clarksville,Ar...city police, county police,EMS, fire,state police,thank you

Reconrider

The sds 100/200 does good with simulcast.
The guy you went to sounds like a derp and just wants to push you to be a whistler fanboy like he is. I have a trx1 and a sds100, love them both for different reasons.

trx1 pros would be free nxdn / dmr - doesn't trunk track but you can follow if they don't talk often. Easy to program and you can select what youw ant to record. AA batteries so you can buy them if yours die at any store
cons would be it doesn't do simulcast very well if the signal is strong - I don't have any issues and it keeps up with the sds100 in my area(everyone is different).

sds100 pro is the color screen, does simulcast very well, really well custom channels and quick keys which I think is a neat concept(I haven't used it yet)
cons - You have a battery pack so no AA batteries like the trx. Seems to die pretty quickly(give or take 5-6 hours) gets very warm quickly, the sma goes inside the scanner making you have a few antenna choices or get the sma to bnc and open your options up. When you record, you record EVERYTHING unlike the trx with the rec option on each entry

[[ ALL IN ALL BOTH ARE GREAT SCANNERS FOR DIFFERENT REASONS ]]

marksmith

I certainly would not take any further advice from your electronics store guy.

Depending on simulcadt issue with systems you want to scan, any of the radios mentioned so far are capable of a wide range of system reception. If you have simulcast issues, you want the sds radios.

wbswetnam

I live just down the road in Russellville. With a discone antenna mounted outside, I'm able to receive Clarksville Police and Fire just fine from Russellville with my Uniden BCD996P2. Your closest AWIN tower in Johnson county is Katies Knob, which is not a simulcast tower. You can do just fine with a BCD996P2 or a BCD325P2 (the hand-held version of the 996) plus you will need to upgrade to include DMR. Of course, you can use the Whistler TRX-1 also if you prefer to go that route. Just be aware that you have many choices.

Nate26

I live just down the road in Russellville. With a discone antenna mounted outside, I'm able to receive Clarksville Police and Fire just fine from Russellville with my Uniden BCD996P2. Your closest AWIN tower in Johnson county is Katies Knob, which is not a simulcast tower. You can do just fine with a BCD996P2 or a BCD325P2 (the hand-held version of the 996) plus you will need to upgrade to include DMR. Of course, you can use the Whistler TRX-1 also if you prefer to go that route. Just be aware that you have many choices.
Thanks for your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.