173.375 on Amtrak NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
I've long seen 173.375 listed as an Amtrak Police frequency for on-train use. I'm curious about how this system works.

I've noticed that on many (but not all) NEC trains I've ridden on (both Acela and non-Acela), there's an on-train repeater retransmitting the local road channel (it's clearly on the train, since the signal strength doesn't vary). This seems odd to me; if it's for use by Amtrak police riding the train with their portables, wouldn't it make more sense to repeat the Amtrak Police frequency? And if it repeats the road channel, wouldn't that be useful for general crew use as well?

Is this just a repeated audio feed from the cab radio, or is it a separate system? Is there also an uplink frequency for the portables?

I've also noticed that in Wilmington there's a fixed repeater that rebroadcasts the local police dispatch channel, which I assume is for Amtrak's use. And in New York, there's a Spanish-language taxi dispatch service there, presumably an unlicensed pirate. But I'm curious specifically about the on-train system.

Thanks

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I've long seen 173.375 listed as an Amtrak Police frequency for on-train use. I'm curious about how this system works.

I've noticed that on many (but not all) NEC trains I've ridden on (both Acela and non-Acela), there's an on-train repeater retransmitting the local road channel (it's clearly on the train, since the signal strength doesn't vary). This seems odd to me; if it's for use by Amtrak police riding the train with their portables, wouldn't it make more sense to repeat the Amtrak Police frequency? And if it repeats the road channel, wouldn't that be useful for general crew use as well?

Is this just a repeated audio feed from the cab radio, or is it a separate system? Is there also an uplink frequency for the portables?

I've also noticed that in Wilmington there's a fixed repeater that rebroadcasts the local police dispatch channel, which I assume is for Amtrak's use. And in New York, there's a Spanish-language taxi dispatch service there, presumably an unlicensed pirate. But I'm curious specifically about the on-train system.

Thanks

There is no on-train repeater.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
There is no on-train repeater.

Well, I've personally confirmed that on at least some NEC trains there is something on 173.375 rebroadcasting traffic on the current road channel, with a consistent signal level. If you're certain that it's not an on-board repeater, what is it?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Well, I've personally confirmed that on at least some NEC trains there is something on 173.375 rebroadcasting traffic on the current road channel, with a consistent signal level. If you're certain that it's not an on-board repeater, what is it?

Your first post had me confused...

There may be something that rebroadcasts the road channel for APD... I have no first hand knowledge of this practice and it is the first I've heard of it. I've never been on a NEC train, and anytime I was on Amtrak, we had a Union Pacific leader.

IF there is something on board that repeats the road channel, I would assume that it is so the APD officer can monitor the operations on board and respond appropriately in case the crew does not know that the APD officer is aboard while maintaining a "private" channel for APD to use among themselves.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Your first post had me confused...

There may be something that rebroadcasts the road channel for APD... I have no first hand knowledge of this practice and it is the first I've heard of it. I've never been on a NEC train, and anytime I was on Amtrak, we had a Union Pacific leader.

IF there is something on board that repeats the road channel, I would assume that it is so the APD officer can monitor the operations on board and respond appropriately in case the crew does not know that the APD officer is aboard while maintaining a "private" channel for APD to use among themselves.

Right, I think this is an NEC-specific system. And it doesn't seem to be installed on all trains, or at least isn't always turned on. But I don't know anything about how it actually works or what its purpose is, which is why I'm asking here.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber

Thanks
It's licensed in several locations

IG WPWB988
National Railroad Passenger Corporation, dba AMTRAK
[Common carrier railroad]
Control Point 1 - 30th St Station 2955 Market St, PHILADELPHIA PA 215-349-4000
Control Point 2 - 15 S Popular St, WILMINGTON DE 215-349-4000
Control Point 3 - 159 Holgate St, SEATTLE WA 215-349-4000

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
It's licensed in several locations

IG WPWB988
National Railroad Passenger Corporation, dba AMTRAK
[Common carrier railroad]
Control Point 1 - 30th St Station 2955 Market St, PHILADELPHIA PA 215-349-4000
Control Point 2 - 15 S Popular St, WILMINGTON DE 215-349-4000
Control Point 3 - 159 Holgate St, SEATTLE WA 215-349-4000

The apparent "onboard repeaters" may actually exist, operating under WNSX613:

173.375... "MO3, [Mobile/Vehicular Repeater, aka "extenders"] Area of Operation: AMTRAK RAIL SYSTEM FM BOSTON MA TO NEW HAVEN CT, FM NEW YORK CITY NY TO WASHINGTON DC, FM HARRISBURG TO PHILADELPHIA PA US"

Also WPRW348
with both MO3s (Mobile/Vehicular Repeater) and FB2Ts (temporary mobile relays) "Operating within the continental United States."

And in New York, there's a Spanish-language taxi dispatch service there, presumably an unlicensed pirate. But I'm curious specifically about the on-train system.

That would appear to be a legal operation, "Mexicana Car and Limousine Service" in Jackson Heights, Queens, with callsign WPYT552, "TAXI & LIMO SERVICE- RADIOS WILL BE USED TO COORDINATE DAILY DISPATCH ACTIVITIES" on 173.375 as well as 152.33 and 157.59.

Last edited:

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Sounds logical, WES in Wilsonville,Ore had what sounded like the same thing on 152mhz repeating the P&W road channel.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
The apparent "onboard repeaters" may actually exist, operating under WNSX613:

173.375... "MO3, [Mobile/Vehicular Repeater, aka "extenders"] Area of Operation: AMTRAK RAIL SYSTEM FM BOSTON MA TO NEW HAVEN CT, FM NEW YORK CITY NY TO WASHINGTON DC, FM HARRISBURG TO PHILADELPHIA PA US"

Also WPRW348
with both MO3s (Mobile/Vehicular Repeater) and FB2Ts (temporary mobile relays) "Operating within the continental United States."

That would appear to be a legal operation, "Mexicana Car and Limousine Service" in Jackson Heights, Queens, with callsign WPYT552, "TAXI & LIMO SERVICE- RADIOS WILL BE USED TO COORDINATE DAILY DISPATCH ACTIVITIES" on 173.375 as well as 152.33 and 157.59.

Thanks; I'd seen the Amtrak license in the FCC database, and several other listings have 173.375 listed as being for Amtrak PD on train repeater use, but I'm curious about how the system actually works. (Not to mention why it would be specifically for the police and not general crew use).

Interesting about the car service being legit; I missed that in my search of the FCC database. (Not to mention that there are so many unlicenced car service operations in NYC that a safe default assumption when one here's one is that they're illegal!)

cifn2

Feed Provider
I would guess that it is a mobile extender frequency as mentioned similiar to the way law enforcement in rural areas have in car extenders in rural areas to get their portables back to the dispatch.

My guess - only from how I have seen systems installed in the past.. is that the extenders serve as a tool for the officers should they be on board, so they can monitor the road crews, etc so they can act if the crew is contacting the dispatcher regarding issues, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.