2002 Ford Explorer Limited Two Way Radio/Scanner Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdscan

That's a very interesting mic on the MCS looks like a Jedi series mic

I was going to say the same... I've seen them around a few times, but have never seen them in use. I know that you can swap out the back lapel clips for those discs used for mic-hang ups, I think that's how they do it with the FDNY slings.

Overall, this install is awesome. Your attention to detail is amazing. Especially fitting the rockers into the factory switches!!!

KJ6HCB

Love this set-up. Just got a 2002 for work in law enforcement. I have to deal with having three radios. A Motorola CDM 1250, Yaesu FT-1802, and an 11 meter mobile with a side mic jack. Would love to find one of these consoles on the used market, since they discontinued production. I would also mount the cup holders in them since it is a work vehicle. lol

Any ideas on good sources for these on the used market? No dice on Ebay when I've checked.

I havent been around this forum for a while, but I do still have the console and would be interested in selling it and/or LED light and faceplates. I sold this vehicle a while back and removed everything.

Shoot me a PM if interested, I can ship it UPS no problem.

Stimpy911

I have a 2004 Explorer and just got the same console. How did you secure the console to the floor? Also, what is that device that you installed in the middle? This will be my first install. I plan on installing my emergency lights and siren along with a 2 meter Ham radio and eventually a scanner.

Stimpy911

How did you power your radios! Did you use a power distribution block and if so, where did you install it? Not much room inside those consoles once you get all the wires down there. What did you do for wire management?

Do you still have the light for sale?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
How did you power your radios! Did you use a power distribution block and if so, where did you install it? Not much room inside those consoles once you get all the wires down there. What did you do for wire management?

Do you still have the light for sale?

You might want to PM him since his last post in this thread was in 2013. His profile does show he has been active on the forums lately, though, so a PM might get him.

KJ6HCB

Sorry, just saw this. The vehicle is long gone, as is the console and most of the gear. Im building a new truck (a few actually) -2000 Chevy Silverado work body, 03 Extended E350 Cargo Van, 2014 Crew Cab Silverado and possibly a newer Ford Explorer PPV. Ill start new threads on those.

The middle power thing was a RigRunner - Powerpole power splitter panel. Powerpoles work pretty sweet for vehicle installs.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Someone way earlier asked a question to which I don’t recall seeing the answer. The question had to do with what is that you do that you need to have the non-ham radios such as the Motorola? And what are the “rocker” switches for. Your original post referred to “hideaways”.

scottyhetzel

Someone way earlier asked a question to which I don’t recall seeing the answer. The question had to do with what is that you do that you need to have the non-ham radios such as the Motorola? And what are the “rocker” switches for. Your original post referred to “hideaways”.

Hideaways usually mean strobes/l.e.d.s in the tail lights/ turn signals or head lights...covert style..

firetaz834

Very nice job, making me reconsider my install path and looking for a console. Only thing for me, would be looking for a low profile console and the only one I've seen is a Havis console, but the way to install the console is interesting to say the least.

But, again nice job.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber

Are you implying someone needs a reason to have non-ham radios?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

There are a lot of hams who use commercial radios instead of ham specific radios. I have some myself. They are allowed on the ham bands so there is absolutely nothing wrong with a ham having commercial gear to use. It could be that the user has business or ps frequencies that they also talk on, but that does not have to be the case. There have been some installs shared on here where they (a ham operator) had all commercial radios in their install.

Areas that have ham radio DMR or nxdn repeaters would have to have commercial radios to be able to talk on those channels.

KJ6HCB

Haha.... right. Im sick of crappy TX audio quality, RX volume and other issues with 99% of most ham radios which is why I use mostly /\/\ gear for ham and non-ham uses.

Thanks for the compliments guys, this vehicle is long gone and disassembled but Ive started amassing gear for the next vehicle build. Not sure if its going to be a 2016 Ford Interceptor Utility or a new Tahoe PPV yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.