2005 Impala radio console install

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I picked up a 2005 Chevy Impala 9C1 a couple months ago - a decommissioned Illinois State Police investigators car, and I finally got around to finishing up my radio install.

*NOTE: before any of the resident "whacker hunters" suffering from whatever disorder it is that causes them to seek out and target anybody with a light bar or siren for a verbal attack aligns me in their cross hairs, it should be noted that the light bars and siren are installed and used legally.

The console I installed everything in is an 18" C-1800IMP by Havis-Shields and includes the optional C-ARM106 arm rest. The console currently contains (listed from top to bottom):

1. Federal Signal PA300 siren
  2. Motorola Maxtrac VHF transceiver
  3. Radio Shack/GRE Pro-197 digital scanner
  4. Icom IC-2000 VHF transceiver
  5. Kenwood TM-V71A Dual Band V/UHF transceiver
Antennas currently mounted are:

1. Trunk left: Larsen UHF
  2. Trunk right: Maxrad VHF
  3. Trunk center: Sirius
  4. Roof: Motorola 700-1000 MHz
Here's the car as of last week. I still have a bit of "wire hiding" to do before the project is complete:

1.jpg

3.jpg

c3.jpg

c1.jpg

I'll probably do more to the setup as time goes by, I have an Icom IC-706mk2g I'm debating on adding to the install. I'll update the thread with any other improvement I make to it.

kjfswkr

Look very good.

kevin

NOTE: before any of the resident "whacker hunters" suffering from whatever disorder it is that causes them to seek out and target anybody with a light bar or siren for a verbal attack aligns me in their cross hairs, it should be noted that the light bars and siren are installed and used legally.

PS: The above should not have to be said.

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I want to know how you found an ISP Impala with less than 200K and in decent shape...

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I want to know how you found an ISP Impala with less than 200K and in decent shape...
It's very hard to find a ISP patrol vehicle with a reasonable amount of miles and in decent shape, but the Ida cars usually have lower miles and are better maintained. This one was from District 13 in far southern IL and had 121k when I bought it and needed some light body work to remove scratches, dings etc; but for the price the vehicles can't be beat.

Nice job. What do you use the car for?
The vehicle is set up for township ESDA use as well as my own radio hobby.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
When was it that ESDA ( Emergency Services and Disaster Agency ) now known as EMA or Emergency Managent Agency was given permission to have sirens in their personally owned vehicles in illinois? Unless your sporting an "M" plate and its local or county owned its not legal.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
When was it that ESDA ( Emergency Services and Disaster Agency ) now known as EMA or Emergency Managent Agency was given permission to have sirens in their personally owned vehicles in illinois? Unless your sporting an "M" plate and its local or county owned its not legal.

LOL, that's some interesting (albeit ignorant) speculation. Whatever you're inclined to believe is fine with me, but I can't imagine I'd be posting photos on a public website frequented by law enforcement personnel if anything in them were illegal. :roll:

For the Radioreference Police, here's a gift to help you feel special:
saps.png

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
SO what makes it legal for you to have a siren in your car?

625 ILCS 5/12‑601) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑601)

(b) No vehicle shall be equipped with nor shall any person use upon a vehicle any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section. Any authorized emergency vehicle or organ transport vehicle as defined in Chapter 1 of this Act may be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell, capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 500 feet, but such siren, whistle or bell, shall not be used except when such vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law in either of which events the driver of such vehicle shall sound such siren, whistle or bell, when necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach thereof

Are you an authorized emergency vehicle according to the state or not?

(625 ILCS 5/1‑105) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1‑105)
Sec. 1‑105. Authorized emergency vehicle. Emergency vehicles of municipal departments or public service corporations as are designated or authorized by proper local authorities; police vehicles; vehicles of the fire department; vehicles of a HazMat or technical rescue team authorized by a county board under Section 5‑1127 of the Counties Code; ambulances; vehicles of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency; mine rescue emergency response vehicles of the Department of Natural Resources; and vehicles of the Illinois Department of Public Health.

(Source: P.A. 96‑214, eff. 8‑10‑09.)

The law states unless your vehicle is owned or authorized by above it not an emergency vehicle. If not a vehicle equipped with a siren by state statue is not legal.

You can call me what ever you want I could care less. You spout about how your using them legally. Not by the letter of the law.

bezking

Guys, cut the crap with the lights, I am really getting sick of it. Now get back on topic - the next mention of the lights by ANYBODY except the OP will earn the poster a full infraction.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just ordered the necessary brackets and filler plates from Havis-Shield to mount an Icom 706mk2g where the 3" pocket is currently located, just below the Kenwood.

I'm not sure yet which antenna I will use for the 706 yet, I'm considering the Ameritron SDA-100 6m-80m screwdriver as most of my HF activity is on the 20m, 40m and 75/80m bands.

I'll update the thread with new pics when the additional installation is completed.

THETINMAN

For the Radioreference Police, here's a gift to help you feel special:
saps.png
I'm at work, working rotating 12 hour shifts, keeping myself entertained reading a few forums I keep up almost all day... I dont know why, but this just made the shift..

Guys, cut the crap with the ******, I am really getting sick of it. Now get back on topic - the next mention of the ****** by ANYBODY except the OP will earn the poster a full infraction.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.