2008 Command, Control, and Communications Vehicle Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3JUV

I posted this in the National Capital Region forums but I figured there would be some that don't check them that may be interested in this. Below is the link to my pictures (over 200!) from the 2008 Command, Control, and Communications Vehicle Rally in Chantilly, VA. If you're involved in maintaining or designing a mobile emergency Communications/IT vehicle in any fashion, I most certainly suggest you put this on your calendar for next year. You get a lot of great ideas from seeing these vehicles up close.

I can provide any of the pictures in high resolution if you are interested. Use them how you wish!

http://picasaweb.google.com/kb3juv/2008CommandControlAndCommunicationsVehicleRally

Best Regards,

Justin Kates

Utah_Viper

wow!! I am drooling! Did You attend the event? what all did you get to look inside? I never have seen that many CP Vehicles in one place.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Please do not cross-post. I counted this same thread in three other forums.

I've closed and redirected all of them here.

SAR923

Is it just me or are we spending an inordinate amount of money on these "toys"? You could easily cut the number needed in half just by having areawide agreements on command post usage. Every agency wants the latest, hottest equipment but we're rarely, if ever, going to have an emergency that requires all those command posts to be in service at once. Ever since 9/11, the DHS dumptruck full of money has been financing this kind of show equipment and I don't think it's making us one bit safer.

A

ACU1000

Whats in the FBI command post that requires it to be a fully armoured rig and trailer?

KB3JUV

lemish said:
Whats in the FBI command post that requires it to be a fully armoured rig and trailer?

I don't think it's armored. It's a large conference room with call taking positions all the way around. It's use is to replicate an FBI field office. For example they used it to replace the New Orleans Field Office during Katrina. The part over the tongue of the trailer is where all of the commo equipment was.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
SAR2401 said:
Is it just me or are we spending an inordinate amount of money on these "toys"? You could easily cut the number needed in half just by having areawide agreements on command post usage. Every agency wants the latest, hottest equipment but we're rarely, if ever, going to have an emergency that requires all those command posts to be in service at once. Ever since 9/11, the DHS dumptruck full of money has been financing this kind of show equipment and I don't think it's making us one bit safer.

I was wondering the same thing. While some of these look practical, and useful, others look like they'd have some serious problems in the real world. Montgomery County, MD wouldn't even be able to drive on Michigan's freeways with all the pot holes!

Last edited:

TheZach

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
GreatLakes said:
I was wondering the same thing. While some of these look practical, and useful, others look like they'd have some serious problems in the real world. Montgomery County, MD wouldn't even be able to drive on Michigan's freeways with all the pot holes!

Its built on a kneeling bus if you look the rear tire is a lot higher then the front one.... there are plenty of these buses used by charter companies all around Michigan.

A

ACU1000

GreatLakes said:

Actually, Mongomery County PD is nearby, it is a bus conversion that is done a lot and my guess is it would probably maneuver our DC region streets just fine.

Oh - you're not from around here - not sure why this post ended up here instead of remaining in the Virginia Forum where it was first posted (and where these vehciles are from) but it did and its good for people to view them and comment on them as you are doing here.

Thanks to Justin for posting the orignal pics!!! I project managed the design, development, and testing of a few of the vehicles at that show and still see some things in the photos I had never seen before.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
TheZach said:
Its built on a kneeling bus if you look the rear tire is a lot higher then the front one.... there are plenty of these buses used by charter companies all around Michigan.

If it would have traveled down Van Dyke Ave. in Sterling Heights, Michigan back in April, it would have been a total wreck!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
lemish said:
not sure why this post ended up here instead of remaining in the Virginia Forum where it was first posted (and where these vehciles are from)

wayne_h said:
Please do not cross-post. I counted this same thread in three other forums.

I've closed and redirected all of them here.

Plus seeing as how many of these glorified school buses were paid for with .FED money, I think it's fair to post this in a forum more people will see :D

KB3JUV

Grog said:
Plus seeing as how many of these glorified school buses were paid for with .FED money, I think it's fair to post this in a forum more people will see :D

Very good point on that one. I'd actually be interested to find just one of those vehicles that was paid for entirely by a local or state government.

Tom1200

Check out the dvd/vcr and is that a dish network satellite receiver? Being in charge of fire crews sure must get boring

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 661

SAR923

Check out the dvd/vcr and is that a dish network satellite receiver? Being in charge of fire crews sure must get boring

I'm sure they just watch the Weather Channel. :) There's a tendency to cram every bit of electronic hardware you can in those mobile CP's, just because you can and, generally, the local agency is either paying nothing or a very small percentage of the cost. The worst part is that very few of them are really set up for the two things you need most at an incident - a good dispatch center and briefing rooms. I can't tell you the number of CP's I've been in that have tons of radios lined up right next to each other with some chairs under a long counter. All the dispatchers would have to sit right next to each other with no noise control and people marching in and out every 10 seconds. When we built our command post, we got the dispatchers involved at the planning stage. Their number one request was their own room with a door that closed and that it be at the back of the CP, away from the noise. I wonder how many of these giant busses have made this type of provision for dispatchers?

Status
Not open for further replies.