2010 Chrysler Town and County - Install Revision 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

In my original installs I had mounted everything to the factory center console which was less than desirable. This weekend I came across a used console and decided a swap was in order. Any feedback is welcome!!

Passenger Front POV:

Driver POV:

Last Install Revision (I like the new better LOL):

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Yes, the second one does look very nice! But there's a Radio Shack hand mike in the mix, but I don't see the radio!?

Mike

wcu02mpa

Just curious to what band the Maratrac radio is on. I live in Asheville and have several tuned up on 6-meters. When I travel to the Piedmont I am amazed at all of the low band FM activity there. The Cleveland 6M machine and much more.

Mike AF4AY

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
What's the telephone handset hooked too? Must be a NC thing. I got pulled over down there a few years ago and the cop was using one of those things to talk on the radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
What's the telephone handset hooked too? Must be a NC thing. I got pulled over down there a few years ago and the cop was using one of those things to talk on the radio.

I have always known them to be called 'transit handsets'

Where I live, they are quite favoured by Transit authorities.

When the city I used to live in, went from conventional UHF to 800MHz EDACS, the busses kept the handsets from the conventional radios when they got Orion's(or M7100 not sure which)The city I lived in before that before that used iDEN mobiles with the old school cell handset(keypad and display on the back). They just went to a 'type 2' (7.xx acting like a 3600baud type 2 system 800MHz trunk system) but I don't know if they went to handsets or conventional mics.

KM4WLV

Sorry for the delay in response to everyone's questions.......

1 - The middle head isn't a Maratrac, it's actually a Syntor A9 head. The front part of the housing cracked on the head and I had a spare Maratrac A7 head laying around. Since I didn't really have a need for a full keypad on that radio it worked out great.
2 - A rundown of the equipment installed:
- The very front head is a VHF Highband Syntor A9. It's more or less just a glorified scanner these days. The DEK/Wildcard box above it will be used to control lighting and a few other things once I get time to finish setting it up.
- The middle head is a VHF Lowband Syntor A9. It has our old Emergency Management channels, Red Cross, and SHP. When that radio quits or I change vehicles, whichever comes first, it won't be going back in another vehicle.
- The rear Midland (next to the cupholders) is a VHF Highband Syntech Series 8 channel. It serves as a backup VHF.
- The tablet is used primarily as a hot spot or for mapping using the Active911 app when we get a call.
- The Radio Shack HTX-252 may go back in. Haven't decided on that just yet..........
3 - The mics are as follows: On the front of the console on the driver side is the mic for the HB Syntor. The mic on the rear of the cupholders is currently used for the LB Syntor, however the handset will be replacing the current LB mic.

The NCSHP (Highway Patrol) uses the handset/privacy style mics have been used for a long time. The Troopers like them because if they have someone in the car and don't want them hearing what the comm center says they can turn off the speaker and listen through the handset, as to not tip off someone if it's discovered they have warrants, etc. I worked in the NCSHP Troop E Radio Shop as an installer back in the early 2000's. It was kind of ingrained into my head that the only proper mic for a LB Syntor is the privacy handset lol. Hopefully this clears up everyone's questions. If I missed any I apologize. Once I do a few more things I've got planned I'll update the thread. Thanks again for the questions and comments & as always thanks for looking!!

KM4WLV

I was going to ask you if you did installs for a living because everything looks so professional!

I appreciate the compliment. I started doing installs in 1998 professionally and still do some from time to time for friends these days. Unfortunately my career as an installer, and a firefighter, ended in 2011 when I was taken out of work because of my back. I was in a traffic accident in 2005 and complications from it caught up to me in 2011 which led to a subsequent spinal fusion surgery in 2012. Like I said I still do a few installs here and there as I can tolerate them, but most of my radio stuff these days is spent programming and troubleshooting problems.

Again thank you for the compliment!

N8HLY

Subject: Mobile installation

Hello Daniel

I saw your 2010 Chrysler Town and Country mobile installation here on RR and am intrigued by it:

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you some questions about your installation. I have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan (very similar to your vehicle) that I would like to do a similar installation for. Any insight to
your installation that you would be willing to share share would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

TNX/73
Tom N8HLY

Status
Not open for further replies.