2023 IndyCar Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G3R0N1M0

Did you end up going to the race? How did the subtones work out for you?

I'm going to Long Beach this weekend. I cross checked the driver frequencies that you posted with the Long Beach spotters guide. I'll report back on how things worked out.

chocolate_nault

Premium Subscriber
I have not attended a race yet this year. The subtone codes are based on previous years. Cells colored in orange in the Excel sheet tend to change every year and I put priority to scanning those.

mb5020

NASCAR frequencies are generally the same throughout a season. I have an INDYCAR St. Pete 2023 Freq list.

In someone's opinion, is it a high likelihood that the INDYCAR St. Pete freqs will be the same at Barber Motorsports Park Apr. 28-30, 2023? I have found it difficult to locate INDYCAR freqs online for specific races to confirm that.

Thanks in advance

Harold

Premium Subscriber
NASCAR frequencies are generally the same throughout a season. I have an INDYCAR St. Pete 2023 Freq list.

In someone's opinion, is it a high likelihood that the INDYCAR St. Pete freqs will be the same at Barber Motorsports Park Apr. 28-30, 2023? I have found it difficult to locate INDYCAR freqs online for specific races to confirm that.

Thanks in advance
They usually stay the same from week to week, and in some cases year after year. Frequencies are on the Spotters Guide posted to the INDYCAR website, a couple days prior to each race.

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
Premium Subscriber
The main channel used for the indy teams get put on the spotters guide. The 2nd channel media and officials are not. The indy wiki is accurate. The guy that runs indymotorspeedway.com (a fan page not the site of the track) has very good scanner information. Guy is very knowledgeable about the whole indy series.

chocolate_nault

Premium Subscriber
There should be no changes since St. Pete.

Since keeping my personal spreadsheet back to 2017, over 95% of teams have the same primary radio frequency. Only the subtones change year to year for most top teams. Be sure that you use the Indycar.com spotters guide as your source, not TwinPower scanners. Their list is out of date for some drivers.

Since I don't attend in person until mid May, I post my spreadsheet if others have collected subtone data to correct.

Last edited:

mb5020

Thanks for the assistance. Since I can't field program my Zastones and Baofengs, I'm trying to get the most accurate freqs as possible.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
111IRL SAFETY451.7250
112IRL SAFETY461.4250
113CLEANUP467.9250
114RACECONTROL461.6875
115RACECONTROL468.8250
116RACECONTROL469.9000
117DIRECTOR457.2375
118IRL RACECONTROL464.1750
119TECHINSPECTOR467.8375
120TIMING468.5875
121TIMING466.3500
122OBSERVERS469.3625
123FIRESTONE

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Pls correct this or confirm I think all of these floating around out there all are old 468.8250 is only one of these I heard

Last edited:

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
This is from the Mann and I think it's also same info listed on Dan's site and also twinpowers.. I think most are in accurate. Nault are all these old? I'm thinking all this is on the digital officials radios now and just 2 analog remain for control and backup

TheMann00

Yeah, I call those "bonus" frequencies. I've rarely seen updates from anyone... but I know a lot are silent during the race. My thought- If you've got the space on the scanner for them... load them up! Just in case. Have no idea if they used to use all, or if they switch from venue to venue based on interference? No idea... but I keep them all!

chocolate_nault

Premium Subscriber
111IRL SAFETY451.7250
112IRL SAFETY461.4250
113CLEANUP467.9250
114RACECONTROL461.6875
115RACECONTROL468.8250
116RACECONTROL469.9000
117DIRECTOR457.2375
118IRL RACECONTROL464.1750
119TECHINSPECTOR467.8375
120TIMING468.5875
121TIMING466.3500
122OBSERVERS469.3625
123FIRESTONE
Most of these I have not heard since 2021.

Only the primary race control frequency below showed up on my Scan and Store logs in 2022.

TwinPower has a history of incorrect data on their frequency lists (The driver of the #9 is still "Dixson"). The other frequencies continue to be copied/pasted to Reddit or themann00 website every year with no verification.

My guess is that all of the above channels are now digital but Race Control is simulcast on analog.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
😆 I concur did u ever hear the alt control analog channel on 467.. that was listed in the rulebook in years prior? I havent

chocolate_nault

Premium Subscriber
😆 I concur did u ever hear the alt control analog channel on 467.. that was listed in the rulebook in years prior? I havent
467.0125 has never shown up in my logs, which is understandable as it is a backup channel that likely was never needed.

My method since 2019 is to use a Uniden BR330T on Scan and Store between 450-470 continuously throughout the day. Any manual notes while scanning with my SC230 I immediately log on Google Drive. At the end of the day I export the CSVs from the BR330T and compare to the Excel sheet on Google Drive. Since these are analog radios, any frequencies captured without a DCS (PL) tone either don't have a tone programmed or are digital. If it sounds like a semi truck engine on a particular frequency, then it is definitely a digital transmission.

I plan to attend this Saturday to hopefully manually log some of the IndyNXT drivers. I need help from others if anyone is interested.

Indycar will be fairly straightforward for me. I'll post a reliable Indy 500 list here by May 21 as every race car will complete a qualifying run while my spare radio is logging.

TheMann00

The other frequencies continue to be copied/pasted to Reddit or themann00 website every year with no verification.
Well- for one, it's hard to "verify" a week before the race. Or anytime. Except during the race. At which point my list of frequencies is pretty useless. I'm pretty clear that they are BONUS frequencies, and have no guarantee of working. My scanner has 500 memory banks- and my baofengs have 127. I have never run out of space because I load up a few extra MAYBES into memory.

I know PA worked last year- but if it didn't I wouldn't rush to remove it, unless I had confirmation from a source that IMS will no longer broadcast the PA on any frequency or whatever.

I'm not really sure what kind of "verification" you're looking for- wanna help?

TheMann00

Indycar will be fairly straightforward for me. I'll post a reliable Indy 500 list here by May 21 as every race car will complete a qualifying run while my spare radio is logging.
Good stuff! I'm at a conference during qualifications this year- tag me when you post?

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Most of these I have not heard since 2021.

Only the primary race control frequency below showed up on my Scan and Store logs in 2022.

TwinPower has a history of incorrect data on their frequency lists (The driver of the #9 is still "Dixson"). The other frequencies continue to be copied/pasted to Reddit or themann00 website every year with no verification.

My guess is that all of the above channels are now digital but Race Control is simulcast on analog.

I will concur that this is a very old list that has been copied and pasted over and over. I won't put a year on it but I will say many years ago there was activity on those freqs. . I think the Safety was the first one to disappear, but I remember even hearing corner workers on the observation freq. Been to every IRL/INDYCAR race here at Texas Motor Speedway. Now that I am retired planning to maybe go to Indy next year.

evilbrad

Premium Subscriber
Great to have more folks on board to verify the officials and the baby indycars as I call them. Lights etc.. it was funny how they never would tell you what the frequencies of the pre series drivers are. Last time I had those I pulled them off a re300O after I ota programmed it. The officials radios for those are the Same as the regular indy series. The marketing group/company that runs those once told me "we don't give those out" I highly doubt the Lights etc are running digital for the races in 2022 or 2023

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.