222 MHz band radios and usage

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I have two Bridgecom 220 mobiles and one HT. They have discontinued them although they still sell their 220 repeater.

Yeah I bought a Bridgecom 220 mobile last fall when I decided to get into 220. I *wanted* an Alinco DR-235T, but was too late. Then, as you said, the BCM-220 was discontinued too.

Maybe after the chip shortage ends (whenever that might be) we'll see some new 220 radios. Fingers crossed.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
220 MHz ham equipment is a small niche market. The manufactuers have no incentive to make equipment that they can't sell. I don't think the chip shortage has anything do do with it.

Perhaps not, but the fact that both Alinco and Bridgecom discontinued their 220 radios in the past year or so would suggest otherwise. Yes, it's a niche market, but that was true in 2019 or 2020 too. If anything there seems to be renewed interest in 220, at least around here.

Alinco also discontinued the 440 version of that radio (DR-435T) and the 2m version (DR-135T) is pretty hard to find, which implies that the chip shortage might be involved. I wouldn't call 440 a niche market. That was also one of the few 70cm-only ham radios available. Plenty of 2m rigs, but if you want a dedicated 2m radio but still want to do 70cm too you end up getting a dual-bander and paying for half a radio that you never use.

Last edited:

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Only 128 memory channels. As folks say, memory is cheap these days.

I'll concede that point, but for me personally not a concern at all. My TH-350 currently has 27 channels in it, and 11 of them are 220 so aren't in any of my other HTs. If I added all the other repeaters I could conceivably hit from here (with an HT) I might have 50 or 60 channels programmed but I don't use those repeaters or they would be in the radio already.

I also tend to reprogram my radios if I will be travelling with them. I see no reason to (for example) have a bunch of repeaters near my dad's house in Virginia programmed into my radios while I am at home.

But I'm sure others look at it differently, and that 128 channel limit might be a restriction for them.

nd5y

There are probably no semiconductors that are specific to 220 MHz radios so the shortage should not affect those any more than any other radios.

When a manufacturer make essentially the same radio model in different versions for different bands they use as many of the same parts as possible. Only some of the RF components (and firmware) need to be different. If they quit making 220 MHz radios it's probably because the market is shrinking.

skynet888

222 is hard to find in many areas. One problem was when the lower part of the spectrum was taken away for a commercial use which was never developed. The use of VHF/UHF FM repeaters has also suffered with the popularity of DMR. Many DMR repeaters were previously 440 FM, and hot spots have added to the DMR craze.

I use 220mhz for straight simplex car to the house and it works great. Have a TYT 9000D 220 mhx radio and a 220mhz Isopole on the roof. I can talk 60km outside the city to my car so works well.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
I use 220mhz for straight simplex car to the house and it works great. Have a TYT 9000D 220 mhx radio and a 220mhz Isopole on the roof. I can talk 60km outside the city to my car so works well.

Have you compared 220 MHz with 2 meters (or other bands) across the same 60 km simplex path while keeping things as equal as possible to see if 220 MHz "talks farther"? I'm guessing a lower noise floor on 220 helps a lot.

I enjoy comparing propagation on the VHF/UHF ham bands but don't have a good way to fairly test base to mobile simplex on 220 MHz. I have both the Alinco DR-235 and an AnyTone AT-588 (basically same radio as the TYT-9000D) which are nice radios, but it's still really unfortunate none of the "big 3" make a monobander mobile for 1.25m.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
222 is a good band just because it is used so little. When storm spotting, we would use it because very few people included it in their scanner database and we didn't have reports like "it isn't raining here yet" that we would get on the official 2 meter storm watch net.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
TYT TH-350. 5/4 watts on all three bands. Yeah I know, a CCR. But they run about $70, versus the Kenwood that was more like $600, and is now discontinued. The previously-mentioned Yaesu VX-6R is $250 (and only 1.5 watts on 220). I'm sure the Yaesu and Kenwood are better radios, but are they 3.5x or 8x better? ;)

The latest Anytone DMR mobile (AT-D578UVIII-Plus) and the Alinco DR-MD520T (which I'm pretty sure is the same radio with a different front panel) also have 220 but only 5 watts.
The TH-D74 is a APRS/DSTAR radio with if out thru the USB connector plus computer controlled, It does have a few bells and whistles to it besides being triband.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The TH-D74 is a APRS/DSTAR radio with if out thru the USB connector plus computer controlled, It does have a few bells and whistles to it besides being triband.

Point well taken, but if someone is just looking for a tri-band HT those features might not matter.

Plus it's discontinued.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Loved my 6R till the 450 khz filter went, not it is deaf as a (inset pun)
time to find a replacement
If it's the same filter as the VX7R, it was $13 and some change from Yaesu for two of them, and it wasn't difficult to replace myself.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
IF you can trust Bridgecom they show a triband mobile DMR radio that includes 220.

Gigaparts also show it ready to ship.
I own this Radio and really like it. I use it every day as my DMR and VHF/UHF home base along with my Yaesu FT-8900 Quadband (10, 6, 2 & 70cm). My Yaesu VX-8DR handheld is also a quadband that includes the 222 MHz

Last edited:

SmitHans

Perhaps not, but the fact that both Alinco and Bridgecom discontinued their 220 radios in the past year or so would suggest otherwise. Yes, it's a niche market, but that was true in 2019 or 2020 too. If anything there seems to be renewed interest in 220, at least around here.

I'm sure the chip shortage had something to do with it. If you have a limited quantity/limited supply of chips, you aren't going to waste them on small market products when you can use them for large market products.

SmitHans

222 is a good band just because it is used so little. When storm spotting, we would use it because very few people included it in their scanner database and we didn't have reports like "it isn't raining here yet" that we would get on the official 2 meter storm watch net.
That's among my reasons for using it. 222 band was often used as our "car to car" band on simplex with other chasers when I was involved with emergency management.

Still use it for ragchewing with friends, as it's a pretty safe bet we won't be stepping on anyone's toes there.

UNITYXG

Premium Subscriber
IF you can trust Bridgecom they show a triband mobile DMR radio that includes 220.

Gigaparts also show it ready to ship.

Im a public safety radio fanboy and have had one of these radios for a short period of time. For what they are, these are solid radios and I still have the 878. Would love to get another 578 to have 220.