• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

23-channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamil

I know the old 23-channel radios are illegal to use, but, can they be used simply for monitoring?
Perhaps with the microphone disconnected?

QwKiE

Not sure but why would a old 23 chanel cb be illegal to talk on it has the same as the 40 chanel just not as many chanels.

K9WG

23 channel CB is not illegal to use, only to sell. This was back in the late 1970s when CB grew at such a rate that the FCC added channels. The FCC mandated that all CBs manufactured and sold after such a date be 40 channel.

(BTW - I bought a 23 channel sideband at 11:59pm on the dropdead date for $10 because RS was not going to be able to sell it.)

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
23 channel CB is not illegal to use, only to sell. This was back in the late 1970s when CB grew at such a rate that the FCC added channels. The FCC mandated that all CBs manufactured and sold after such a date be 40 channel.

(BTW - I bought a 23 channel sideband at 11:59pm on the dropdead date for $10 because RS was not going to be able to sell it.)

So then 23 channel CB radios are rare/valuable?

K9WG

Rare, yes.
Valuable, No.

n9zas
anim_rofl2.gif

W9NES

23 Channel cb radios are not illegal to use with a mike. I have seen them for sale at Hamfest for $10.00 or less. The 23 channel radios were great cb radios in their day.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
23 Channel cb radios are not illegal to use with a mike. I have seen them for sale at Hamfest for $10.00 or less. The 23 channel radios were great cb radios in their day.

k9wg already established the they are not illegal to use, only to sell and I concur as well. ;)

n9zas

RadioDaze

95.603(c) Each CB transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate at a station authorized in the CB) must be certificated. No CB transmitter certificated pursuant to an application filed prior to September 10, 1976, shall be manufactured or marketed.

I take this to mean that 23-channel radios cannot be made and introduced into the retail market anymore. I doubt that a retail store would be prohibited from selling new old stock (or used) 23-channel rigs. Yet I wonder what the law says about a manufacturer releasing old inventory into the supply chain. Obviously they cannot manufacture any new 23-channel rigs. But does making old, unsold 23-channel radios available to the retail end constitute "marketing", if there is no attempt to advertise or represent these radios as part of a current product line? My guess is that it would be a bad idea to try.

Bottom line: We can buy and sell 23-channel rigs on ebay all day long, but Uniden and Cobra should probably scrap their surplus 23-channel rigs (as if they didn't already many years ago.) Can the local truck stop sell NOS 23-channel rigs? That's the gray area...

(This comment is equal to performing an autopsy on a dead horse.)

gewecke

Banned
95.603(c) Each CB transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate at a station authorized in the CB) must be certificated. No CB transmitter certificated pursuant to an application filed prior to September 10, 1976, shall be manufactured or marketed.

I take this to mean that 23-channel radios cannot be made and introduced into the retail market anymore. I doubt that a retail store would be prohibited from selling new old stock (or used) 23-channel rigs. Yet I wonder what the law says about a manufacturer releasing old inventory into the supply chain. Obviously they cannot manufacture any new 23-channel rigs. But does making old, unsold 23-channel radios available to the retail end constitute "marketing", if there is no attempt to advertise or represent these radios as part of a current product line? My guess is that it would be a bad idea to try.

Bottom line: We can buy and sell 23-channel rigs on ebay all day long, but Uniden and Cobra should probably scrap their surplus 23-channel rigs (as if they didn't already many years ago.) Can the local truck stop sell NOS 23-channel rigs? That's the gray area...

(This comment is equal to performing an autopsy on a dead horse.)

I remember back in january 1977, when the first 40 channel radios came out. Several models of uniden radios were designed with this change in mind.
Uniden made extra money by having people send in their 23 ch. radios to be converted over to 40ch. units. Anyone remember this?
Little did they know it took only 5 minutes work of work with a soldering pencil and they could have done it themselves! :)
I was never clear on why the 23 ch units can't be sold now.

n9zas

K9WG

... snip ...

... snip ...
If I remember correctly (I was working at RS at that time) we had a memo from corporate with a copy of a FCC notice that said we could not sell a 23 channel CB after midnight on that date. All stores had to either sell them or eat the cost and return them to corporate.

Also in the FCC jargon "marketing" = "selling". Many FCC actions against "marketing" (i.e. selling) of uncertified CB radios via Internet or directly.

n5ims

Remember that the rule against the sale of 23 channel CBs doesn't prohibit an individual from selling theirs, only the commercial sale of the radios. Joe can sell his to Bob (for example) but Radio Shack can't sell them to either Joe or Bob.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
Now I know why you're called RadioDaze. I thought I was bad with a 5 channel radio and 23, no, make that 29 crystals but we won't talk about that.

QwKiE

Back in the day I remember you could drop a Quarter in the SBE Formula D cb and get new chanels.I had 5 switches that were 3 positions each and you could switch them and get way lower chanels and upper chanels, talked many times to people that were from all over the world with no help at all just the radio with a D-104 Mic those were the days lol.
Man those frequencies were so quiet.

LtDoc

23 channel CB radios can't be sold commercially, but can be sold privately.
Are they 'rare'? How deep do you want to dig in the closet? That's about how rare they are.
How about valuable? What's the thing worth to you? That's about what it amounts to. Are you a 'collector'?
Can they be used? Yes. With the normal stipulation that they are not modified out of all reason, just like 40 channel radios.
Am I an 'expert' on this stuff? Of course not. It just takes a little thought when reading rules.
- 'Doc

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
The value of a 23 channel CB is in the eye of the seller.

Vintage Gemtronics GTX-23 CB Radio | eBay

I had one of these as my first CB back in the day. This seller must know something about this example that the pictures don't show. To me it's a rusted junker that should be buried. $19.99 + $17.21 for shipping, PLEASE!!!

Attachments

• GTX23.jpg
    GTX23.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 4,699
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.