2m range issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin7

When it comes to RF, what matters is straight line distance in miles, kilometers, furlongs, etc. (unless you are far enough separated for the Great Circle to come into play). If there are obstructions between the transmitter and receiver, such as mountains, buildings, airplanes, large flocks of birds, that will make a difference, too.

Only moderators can do that...which I did.
Yeah I understand I just didn’t know the exact distance. I did check the coverage map for one of the repeaters and I’m just barely in range I could probably hit it with good power because I’m up pretty high for my area. So here’s hoping

paulears

There are some good path loss software apps you could try? enter your location, a remote location, antenna height, gain and power and it will tell you if the path is viable. I have a repeater only 25 miles to the west of me that I cannot hear at all as the ground is higher between us, yet I can work a ten mile distant UHF repeater on a handheld, but NOT a 6 mile distant repeater on VHF. Topography reveals why very simply. repeater coverage maps reveal the obstructive directions easily.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yeah I understand I just didn’t know the exact distance.
This trick may only worked if you have a Google account and are logged in. Open Google Maps in your browser, right click on a point, a menu should appear with the last item on that menu being "Measure distance", click on that item and a small circle appears on the point where you right clicked, no move the pointer to another point and left click, a straight line with distance will appear between the two points.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
The other thing is that I’m in a region where I believe the nearest repeater is 40 minutes away
My 2 meter antenna is on the side of my tower up around 30 feet and I can hit repeaters 50 miles away. But like others have stated "Antenna and Cable" makes all the different

paulears

How many miles is a minute? In one direction 30 miles is 45 minutes, and the other 40 miles is 70 minutes? This part of the UK is essential flat - as in gentle hills but no valleys or mountains. In the main, the horizon is around 10-15 miles.

ecps92

How much distance does a degree, minute, and second cover on your maps?

Depends, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop , ah 1, ah 2, ah... We may never know.

The distances vary. A degree, minute, or second of latitude remains fairly constant from the equator to the poles; however a degree, minute, or second of longitude can vary greatly as one approaches the poles and the meridians converge.

At 38 degrees North latitude (which passes through Stockton California and Charlottesville Virginia):

• One degree of latitude equals approximately 364,000 feet (69 miles), one minute equals 6,068 feet (1.15 miles), and one-second equals 101 feet.
  • One-degree of longitude equals 288,200 feet (54.6 miles), one minute equals 4,800 feet (0.91 mile), and one second equals 80 feet.

How many miles is a minute? In one direction 30 miles is 45 minutes, and the other 40 miles is 70 minutes? This part of the UK is essential flat - as in gentle hills but no valleys or mountains. In the main, the horizon is around 10-15 miles.

Gavin7

How much distance does a degree, minute, and second cover on your maps?

Depends, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop , ah 1, ah 2, ah... We may never know.

The distances vary. A degree, minute, or second of latitude remains fairly constant from the equator to the poles; however a degree, minute, or second of longitude can vary greatly as one approaches the poles and the meridians converge.

At 38 degrees North latitude (which passes through Stockton California and Charlottesville Virginia):

• One degree of latitude equals approximately 364,000 feet (69 miles), one minute equals 6,068 feet (1.15 miles), and one-second equals 101 feet.
  • One-degree of longitude equals 288,200 feet (54.6 miles), one minute equals 4,800 feet (0.91 mile), and one second equals 80 feet.
Okay so I think there is a misunderstanding. I was stating minutes as in the length of drive NOT as in coordinates

Gavin7

There are some good path loss software apps you could try? enter your location, a remote location, antenna height, gain and power and it will tell you if the path is viable. I have a repeater only 25 miles to the west of me that I cannot hear at all as the ground is higher between us, yet I can work a ten mile distant UHF repeater on a handheld, but NOT a 6 mile distant repeater on VHF. Topography reveals why very simply. repeater coverage maps reveal the obstructive directions easily.
I actually did that a long time ago with different circumstances than I have now will have to run that again and see what I come up with

K6GBW

Stating distance in "minutes" is a Southern California thing since we drive through insane traffic. But to your antenna situation. Maybe since you are so far out in the sticks you should consider HF? An HF station with a relatively simple 40 meter dipole at about 30 feet will get you about 400-600 miles pretty easy. I know its a license upgrade, but its not hard and HF will make life a lot easier.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.