• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2way radio newb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hello, i was looking on ebay at 2 way radios, im looking for a couple uhf radios that i can use on the gmrs frequencies, but that are WAY more durable then the $30-80 frs/gmrs radios sold in most stores today. i also dont want to have to take them anywhere to have them programmed, mostly because that costs more money, also becuase i wouldnt have the slightest clue as to where to even start looking for a place that could program a motorola radio for me in this area, (did that make sense?)

so i saw the wonderful "quansheng" models all have keypads and say you can program them yourself, however most of the motorola radios with keypads; the auctions dont mention anything about being able to self program,

so i was wondering, when a motorola radio has a full keypad, does that automatically mean that it can be self programmed??? i would guess no

and if not, is there a certain line of motorola uhf radios that you can program yourself? also, when i see a motorola radio with a full keypad, is there a way to tell if its self programmable by looking at it?

Astro25

No, it does not.

The Motorola portable radios that can front program ("FPP") are:

- GP68
- JT1000 (with FPP dongle or Hex edit)
- HT1550/xls (with programming battery)
- XTS2500 (with Q52)
- XTS4000 (with Q52)
- XTS5000 (with Q52)

And those only FPP with the mentioned options, otherwise they operate as normal and that option isn't a valid menu item.

JnglMassiv

jakegday said:
...so i saw the wonderful "quansheng" models all have keypads and say you can program them yourself, however most of the motorola radios with keypads; the auctions dont mention anything about being able to self program,...
You know, for a pair of starter radios, you could do a lot worse than the Chinese knockoffs. They might do everything you need (wider coverage, high power, keypad prog) especially compared to an FRS radio. I'm not saying they're very good but the price is right and I cannot recommend a highend Moto as a first radio.

If you are certain you want these for FRS/GMRS (Strictly speaking, this is illegal here in the US, not sure where you are, NE?) and need something durable, perhaps the best option is to purchase a more standard Moto (like a Saber, HT1000/jedi, Radius model) that you take/send for programming one time.

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
GMRS radios must be type accepted by the FCC (other countries, other agencies and services, GMRS is US only).

The FCC does not accept radios that can be user frequency programmed in the field very often, as they rightly consider that to mean users are going to be programming WRONG frequencies in, and causing interference to other (legal) users.

The chinese knockoff UHF handie talkies are one and all NOT type accepted for any US service, and can only be used (legally) for ham radio. There is one model for VHF that did manage to get type accepted for business use, but that doesn't matter for GMRS, wrong band.

If you specifically want a handheld, probably your best bet is the Icom F21-GM, which can be had for around $125 or so from various sellers. Frequencies all preprogrammed, and you can (with some hassle) program the needed CTCSS/DCS for each channel, as long as you don't need 'split tones', where a repeater you want to use has different tones on the input and output. The F21GM can only do that via the ICOM programming software and cable.

Rugged, it is. Don't expect it to have more range, or any such thing. GMRS handie talkies have 1/2 mile to 5 mile (in best conditions) range. It's all about line of sight and absorbtion of the signals by buildings/foliage.

firetaz834

If you purchase a unit like a Saber III or MT1000. You should be able to have it programmed for all of the GMRS frequencies that you will use. Those radios with proper care are very durable and should last you a long time.

Also, if you know all the possible frequency/tone combinations that you might use you can have them programmed at one time for you.

I myself carry a MT1000 and also a Saber III and those radios have lasted me a very long time and still look as if they were purchased the day before. These radios are tough and you can obtain either of those for a very good price on this board.

If you have any other questions, let me know or anyone else on the board should be able to answer them for you.

RodStrong

Astro25 said:
The Motorola portable radios that can front program ("FPP") are:

- GP68
- JT1000 (with FPP dongle or Hex edit)
- HT1550/xls (with programming battery)
- XTS2500 (with Q52)
- XTS4000 (with Q52)
- XTS5000 (with Q52)

And those only FPP with the mentioned options, otherwise they operate as normal and that option isn't a valid menu item.

Don't forget about the Radius CP50. I own several of them. They are field programmable. No special batteries or any other special outside options needed.

W8RW

The FCC does allow keypad programmable radios in the amateur radio bands, and they were nice enough to set aside VHF and UHF bands for hams to use.

If you want some nice radios that don't require a radio shop to program, consider getting a ham radio license and buying some Icom, Kenwood, or Vertex models.

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
wow! just wanted to say im surprised with all the great information, thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.