396XT backlight question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Reading in the 396 easier to read manual, I see that when I have the back light set to squelch mode, the back light will stay on for only five seconds. Is there a workaround or mod that can be done to extend that time? I don't want to leave the light on all the time, but five seconds just isn't quite enough time.

:)

mule1075

Feed Provider
If their is a workaround or mod i have not found it.One of my very few gripes about the 396XT.If you or anyone comes across one i would be very interested if not delighted to hear about it.

W9NES

On the Uniden 396XT, Do not set the backlight to come on while stopping on a talkgroup. It will run down you battery voltage very quickly.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
On the Uniden 396XT, Do not set the backlight to come on while stopping on a talkgroup. It will run down you battery voltage very quickly.

It seems like everything with this scanner runs down the batteries rather quickly. Either that, or I have some crappy rechargeables.

But not to worry. Since there appears to be no way to increase the "on" time when the light comes on with squelch, I'm just using the AC adapter to power it. That way I can have the light on all of the time and not have to worry. If/when I decide to take it mobile, I'll just adjust the light setting to come on with a keypress.

:)

K8LEA

I'll probably change this eventually, but I've found that taking advantage of the color coding is a big help.

I can't read the fool display fast enough, but if it's the local PD, for example, I usually can see that the display went blue for a couple seconds. Same for the FD - red, etc.

Battery life is seriously deficient. As much as they are inconvenient, a snap-on battery pack would be a better solution, IMHO, than the internal AA's, other than being able to get the cheap AA's just about anywhere. I have several Ham HT's that use an expensive snap-on, but they all option a "case" that'll hold AA or AAA batteries for emergency use. Meantime, you keep on on charge, and one in the radio, and you're good to go for a day.

These HT's are serious types. 5Watt transmitters, wide scan range, and all kinds of digital or analog non-carrier squelch setups. Hundrends of saved frequencies, etc., too. The only thing they won't do (besides maybe not working at 900mhz) is decode APCO25.

Regards,

wtp

imho

i blame cheap or degraded batteries,my 396t i use all day with the light on and go 8+ hours on a charge.
also i use a maha external charger for them. i don't think that the xt uses much more for the same led's

pgnsucks

I run the XT on wall wart only speaking from the field Red is the color it does not destroy your night vision. I always avoided brite lights and worked with Red overhead and radio lights it makes all the difference in the field.

Haley

Have to agree with LordJ, I use the exact same set up. Eneloops and a Maha charger. Use it for all my scanners. Including a 396xt, and 346xt

wtp

good question for upman

if someone has the exact power used by the leds it would be him
but maybe someone has done the work
i don't know where my meter is right now

Status
Not open for further replies.