396xt signal not locking on

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris69

I recently got a 396xt and im having a problem with the signal locking on. Sometimes when i turn on the scanner it locks right on with 5 bars. Sometimes when i turn it on it does not lock on to my local trunk system. Im in southern IN and this system is one of the Indiana SAFE systems. I have a 396T on this system and it works fine. Since it sometimes works, and sometimes it doesnt, im wondering if i need to send the scanner back and get another one.

I would appreciate any advice. I could be missing something i use freescan to set up system

Thanks

scanchs

chris69,

This is just a shot in the dark, but have you checked the squelch setting on the XT? If it is set too high, it could cause the condition you described. I would also closely inspect the antenna connector, looking for anything that might be causing an intermittent connection... :)

ScanCHS

chris69

Thanks for the response.

After turning the squelch down, there is no change to this problem.
I did find out if i just leave the scanner on it will eventually lock on to the systems. just might take a few minutes. Once it is locked on the scanner works perfectly. antenna doesnt seem to be the problem. after locking on i can remove the antenna, put it back on, and still remains locked on to all systems. It acts like there is an initial signal lock process it goes through when first turned on, where the scanner is supposed to lock on thats not set right or something.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It could also be that you've programmed many site control channels into one system, then scanned that system. In that case, the scanner is going to pick the first control channel it can receive. If that control channel is weak or for a site that does not carry traffic for the channels you've selected, it could result in no apparent reception.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

CoughweneedthreshholdsettingsupmanCough. Lol. ;) I'm going to stop bugging you about that, but if you could make a bright yellow sticky note and put it on your desk telling you to implement it in a firmware upgrade, that would be great. =D

Now, how did you program the CCs in? As one site or several sites?

chris69

I had all the frequencies for the system in the scanner. after installing the control freq only, that solved my problem.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.