425.4250 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCMon

Anyone know who uses this freq? Heard two guys talking about a new radio system they were putting in on a mountain top, sat at 4:35pm. Heard while doing a public service search on my 396xt.

Last edited:

DickH

Anyone know who uses this freq? Heard two guys talking about a new radio system they were putting in on a mountain top, sat at 4:35pm. Heard while doing a public service search on my 396xt.

Since that's in the Ham band, 420 to 450MHz, I don't understand how a public service search took you there.

DCMon

Since that's in the Ham band, 420 to 450MHz, I don't understand how a public service search took you there.

I agree DickH however it does. My 396XT in public safety serivce search checks 417.2875/ 423.0000 to 424.3750/ 425.2500 to 425.4750 plus all the usual bands. The conversation I heard could have been Ham but sounded like two radio techs talking via a repeater. They didn't give call signs or other things usually heard on ham channels. I am trying to catch it again but you know how that goes.

DCMon

PW or YW

In checking the FCC site, I see a lot of either PW or YW systems back east and one in Arizona in the 423 to 426 range. Last night when I tried to check the FCC site was down. So apparently the FCC is letting public safety into the ham band. Nothing here yet. Maybe what I heard was a new system and the paperwork isn't public yet?

n5ims

Last night when I tried to check the FCC site was down.QUOTE]

FCC site is down for maint, "The FCC website and related electronic filing systems and documents (except for NORS) will be unavailable beginning 6:00 p.m. (EST) Friday, December 17 through 6:00 a.m. (EST) Monday, December 20 for scheduled maintenance."

mikepdx

That frequency is within the 70cm amateur radio band - 420-450 MHz
You've most likely came across a link frequency.
To verify, check for a simultaneous transmission in the amateur repeater sub-bands.

Last edited:

DickH

That frequency is within the 70cm amateur radio band - 420-450 MHz
You've most likely came across a link frequency.
To verify, check for a simultaneous transmission in the amateur repeater sub-bands.

Well, Mike, I've been using, fixing, monitoring radios since 1951 and this is the first time to hear "link frequency". Where did that come from?

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I heard 166.250 imaging a 2 meter repeater on my 396 recently.

Last edited:

mikepdx

Well, Mike, I've been using, fixing, monitoring radios since 1951 and this is the first time to hear "link frequency". Where did that come from?

Hi Dick.

On linked, multiple repeater systems such as the Oregon Connection
and the Western Oregon radio club, audio is fed between repeaters
via discreet link frequencies - yagi to yagi - hilltop to hilltop.

Of course they could be linked by wireline, fiber, VOIP
or microwave too, but most often links are either on 70cm or 1.25cm
outside of the repeater sub-bands.
By FCC rules, links must be 220 MHz band or higher.

As an example, when you hear traffic on the 146.80 WORC linked repeater
in Portland - search between 438-440 MHz, you may be able to
copy one or more of the link radios. I can here.

The OP didn't state where in Oregon he's hearing this,
but my thought would be to advise him to simultaneously
monitor an Oregon Connection machine near him.
They add or move machines on the system fairly often,
and yak about it on-air.

Last edited:

n5ims

The first repeater I worked on (in the late '60s) was a split site VHF-Hi repeater with the receiver in one location and transmitter in another. The two sites were linked using a UHF radio link. While the norm was to use the VHF-Hi repeater in the normal matter, it was possible to use a UHF radio on the link frequency to communicate with others talking on the VHF-Hi repeater.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Last week or so, I posted a thread in here talking about how I heard a repeater on a MURS channel, the guys that I heard were talking about putting a repeater on Mt Scott on the UHF band, and then one guy was saying that if they did that then they would have a pretty large network or something. This could be related to that.

DickH

...As an example, when you hear traffic on the 146.80 WORC linked repeater in Portland - search between 438-440 MHz, you may be able to
copy one or more of the link radios. I can here. ... and yak about it on-air.

Thanks for the explanation Mike. I guess I'll pass on tuning in a ham repeater. Too much of that "yak on the air" BS. :)

jf4164

Where r they in relation to Line A??? It could be a A legitimate user of the band...

mm

within 50 miles of an international border the 420 to 430MHz band is reserved for public safety use.

For instance all around Detroit the band is active with police on both the US and Canadian side.

In other parts of the US, particularly the Southwest US for example in Arizona and California the 420 to 430 MHz band is shared by hams with the military, primarily for navy radar use in the California Naval bases.

For the hams it is used as dedicated repeater links, an example is the Evergreen and the Cactus intertie ham radio system which has affiliates in Arizona, New Mexico, California, Oregon, Nevada and Texas the use is for linking their 440 to 450 MHz repeaters together into multi-state systems.

In Portland I know that one of the affiliate repeaters is on 442.550 MHz which carries Cactus radio club traffic out of Tucson and Southern Cal. at times.

Like mikepdx mentioned, if you were to listen to this frequency while scanning 420 to 430 MHz on a 2nd receiver you could probably find a link channel for this system also.

Additionally, In some East coast states, Virginia for example, the band is used for dedicated ham repeaters just like the 440 to 450 MHz band is used in other parts of the country.

Mike

Last edited:

k6bsr

Link frequency?

Here's the ARRL bandplan for that part of the 440(70CM) ham band. 420.0-426.0 ATV repeater or simplex with 421.25 MHz video carrier control links and experimental. It is not a rule, but simplay a suggestion for considerate operators to avoid interference with other users of the band. I am in Clatsop County and to provide proper coverage of the whole county we need 4 repeaters all tied together. We use 438.??? There is also another fairly new linked repeater system that covers the coast and Southern Oregon. It is maintained by the W7FLO group out of Florence. I still wonder if you may be receiving an image or mixed signal though.

DCMon

??

The whole issue started because of Uniden's public safety search. Why do they include 423.0000 to 424.3750/ 425.2500 to 425.4750. For ham they just have 440. to 450. . So I probably heard ham, don't know? When I used to listen to ham the people spoke differently if this was ham. These two guys didn't give call signs or handles or anything, they just talked. I have not heard it again.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Some areas are licensed to use this part of the band including Cleveland Ohio (Cuyahoga County) and possibly other locations. Did you listen to the traffic for more than 10 mins?

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The whole issue started because of Uniden's public safety search. Why do they include 423.0000 to 424.3750/ 425.2500 to 425.4750.

"mm" answered it. In some areas of the US, this is also a public safety band. Buffalo NY and I think down through Ohio and maybe Michigan as well. I think it was done to compensate for the lack of available frequencies in 450-470 due to the proximity to Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.