434 MHz

SouthShoreNS

Premium Subscriber
Anyone in Nova Scotia notice a very wide band digital burst that repeats itself @ 434 MHz? I hear multiple bursts coming in at various signal strengths and it is very much acting like a token network...

I am thinking I am hearing NSPC's smart meters. I'll take a walk around tomorrow with the portable to confirm my suspicions.

BC_Scan

While I cant verify this, NSPC shows on TAFL the same frequency 1800 MHz as in BC for our meters with 64-QAM signal , also 217 MHz here they refer to it as WiMax

SouthShoreNS

Premium Subscriber
I checked the FCC ID on the meter this morning and it looks like the meters run between 902 and 927 MHz as well as on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band.

I took my R30 with me this morning while doing service calls in another town approx 66Km away and observed once out of town the bursts got weaker and even disappeared HOWEVER when passing various locations along the highway I would receive a fairly strong burst. Upon reaching my destination the bursts returned.
This is definitely something related to utilities..I think this may be TPMS sensors... LOL

I would love to know exactly what devices are using this... just to know.

BC_Scan

It is also conceivable that its an amateur transmission, they have digital modes in that band. Engage with an amateur club for that area maybe able to zone in there. Do you use and SDR? That may be able to pin point as well.

SouthShoreNS

Premium Subscriber
I use a RSPDUO and it looks to be a several MHz wide signal. I thought it might be TPMS sensors but have since ruled that out.

Has anyone else observed this burst?? They seem to happen at regular intervals about 15 seconds apart best observed WFM

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Any land surveying in your area?

Many GPS RTK wireless links are capable of transmitting in the 70cm band. We had a surveying company interfering with one of our repeaters a few years back. It was transmitting on the 449.5 MHz input .

(I'd have to hear the sound to see if it was the same).

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
434 especially 434.920 has sensor transmissions all over it. They are usually the temp sensors for small WX station like AcuRite etc.
I think some TPMS are in there too.

Grashoper

Premium Subscriber
434 especially 434.920 has sensor transmissions all over it. They are usually the temp sensors for small WX station like AcuRite etc.
I think some TPMS are in there too.
Yes, you are 100 correct. Weather stations (temp sensors, Humidity sensors, Wind, Etc.) use 433-434MHz as well as a LOT of tire pressure monitoring sensors. A lot of online references you will find say that the 433Mhz band is reserved for European systems which is untrue.

Freemor

If you have an RTL-SDR handy or someone close to you does there is a handy program called rtl_443. This is very handy for decoding things like this. As KB3KBR said, it's probably a sensor of some sort. I can easily see many wireless thermometers in my area transmitting the Temp/Humidity/etc.

ty12122

Many burglar alarm systems use this band as well (motion sensors, door sensors etc) and have a range of a few hundred feet or so.