436 Backlight Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

New 436 owner.
Wow ! Lots to learn, for sure.

Question: is there any way of always having the Backlight remaining On ?

Elderly now, and eyesight isn't that great, and it is driving me crazy always
to have to put the Backlight repeatedly on after what seems like only a few seconds or so.

Any way of keeping it on ?

Or at least setting a time for it to remain On ?
Sure does make it easier, for me, to use.

Or, a bad idea, as it depletes the batteries very fast ?

Thanks,
Bob

royldean

There are several options for leaving the backlight on (on during open squelch, time delay, button press, etc.). The manual explains how to change those options.

Hello,

New 436 owner.

to have to put the Backlight repeatedly on after what seems like only a few seconds or so.

Thanks,
Bob

southpaw57

Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob, If You are using Sentinel? Go to edit profile, go over to ' display options' and You will see 'backlight timer'. Change this to 'infinite' in the drop down menu. That will keep it on when You turn Your scanner on and depress the backlight key, which is to the left of the ' no' key. There might be a way to change the setting on the scanner itself? But someone else will have to chime in with that procedure, I don't know. Yes I imagine running the scanner off the batteries with the display light constantly on will drain the batteries somewhat quicker. Once You make the change in sentinel, don't forget to 'write to scanner' to get the change into Your scanner. Good Luck, Bob.. Southpaw57

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I leave mine set to on but I leave the scanner plugged in when I am home.

Hit menu- look for display options - look for set backlight- set mode - time out- and set for infinite.. That will enable it to stay on. The very bottom left key, on the radio, is power button and light. Thats where you can toggle the light to on or off after completing the steps above. By default, the light will be off when you power on the scanner. At least mine is.

There is a much better manual for that scanner here,

Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual It covers the 436 and the 536. Most of the stuff is the same and where something might be 536 specific, it will be noted.

rwier

I have the setting on "infinite", however, you do have to turn it back on in certain situations. If you are on "infinite" while scanning, and don't touch the scanner, it will either stay lit until the batteries drain or, if on external power, stay lit until something (bulb/s?) fails.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

New 436 owner.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

If you have misplaced your owner's manual, you can download a copy from here:

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/NewScanners/WebHome/BCD436-536HPOM_EN_10182013.pdf

Check on page 26 under the heading of "Setting the Backlight". It describes all of the choices you have for setting the backlight and how to accomplish those settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.