BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 436 Uniden scanner ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
When I turn on the 436 scanner it says on the screen, SD Card File ERROR use Sentinel (CLEAR User Data operation to initialize SD card.
When I go to Sentinel and click on SCANNER, and then clear user data. A box comes up saying Select MicroSD but it's empty. How can I fix this problem. File attached.
Steve
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2023-05-11 224322.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-11 224322.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 19

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
7,646
Reaction score
3,918
When I turn on the 436 scanner it says on the screen, SD Card File ERROR use Sentinel (CLEAR User Data operation to initialize SD card.
When I go to Sentinel and click on SCANNER, and then clear user data. A box comes up saying Select MicroSD but it's empty. How can I fix this problem. File attached.
Steve
Click the box that says "display all drives".
 

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
I some how had the scanner running from a USB stick and I deleted the files on that drive I now go in to sentinel when I have this USB Drive in my computer and this comes up, I then clear the data and it says it has finished clearing the data but the scanner is still stuck.
Steve
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 15

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
7,646
Reaction score
3,918
I some how had the scanner running from a USB stick and I deleted the files on that drive I now go in to sentinel when I have this USB Drive in my computer and this comes up, I then clear the data and it says it has finished clearing the data but the scanner is still stuck.
Steve
Reformat the card this time using this utility (recommended by Uniden):


Then connect the scanner to the computer in "Mass Storage" mode, start Sentinel, and choose from the top menu bar..... Scanner ---> Clear User Data.

When that window opens, click the box that says "Display All Drives", (be sure that the scanner's SD card is highlighted) then click "OK". Follow the prompts after that. After that finishes, write all your programming from Sentinel to the card.

If still no luck, try a new SD card.
 

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
I have a card SD card reader on my computer but It's too big for the small sd card in the scanner, I am going to have to get an adapter to put the small sd card into and then insert the adapter into my computer, Right now all that comes up is my USB thumb drive and it wants to clear that and send the files to it. So I will need a sd card adapter to insert the sd card from the scanner into my computer.
Steve
 

dave3825

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Messages
10,941
Reaction score
6,493
Location
Suffolk County NY
I some how had the scanner running from a USB stick and I deleted the files on that drive
I do not believe that is possible. Pretty sure the scanner can only run off the micro sd card.
now go in to sentinel when I have this USB Drive in my computer and this comes up, I then clear the data and it says it has finished clearing the data but the scanner is still stuck.
When the scanner is in mass storage mode, or the scanners micro sd card is loaded into windows via a card reader, it will show as a drive even tho its a card.


Right now all that comes up is my USB thumb drive and it wants to clear that and send the files to it.
It can be a good practice to remove any external drives and or usb thumb drives from the pc when doing updates to the scanner to avoid anything happening to something other than the scanner card/drive.
 

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
I turn on the scanner and all I get is a screen that says SD card File ERROR, use Sentinel
Clear user data operation to initialize SD Card

I then start Sentinel software, click on scanner, click on Clear User Data, the box comes up Select MicroSD, I put a check mark in Display Alll Drives and it's completely empty no drives show up.
I can not get the scanner to go past showing
screen that says SD card File ERROR, use Sentinel
Clear user data operation to initialize SD Card, I did take out the SD card and reinstall but that did not help, I tried to reset the scanner with pressing 2,9 and the Dept button but it did not work.
Steve
 

dave3825

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 17, 2003
Messages
10,941
Reaction score
6,493
Location
Suffolk County NY
Best thing to do is try it when you get the sd micro to sd adaptor because if the card slot is dirty or not making proper connection, it will inhibit all operation to the card through the scanner.
 

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
Best thing to do is try it when you get the sd micro to sd adaptor because if the card slot is dirty or not making proper connection, it will inhibit all operation to the card through the scanner.
Order the SD adapter from Amazon.ca, will be in Monday, I will give that a try, Thanks to everyone for you suggestions on trying to fix this problem.
Steve
 

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
Received my SD Adapter today and checked the SD card that was in my 436 scanner and there was nothing on it, I used the

SD Memory Card Formatter for Windows That fxdscon was nice enough to put a link to download in his post, put the scanner SD card into the adapter and put everything into my computer and that's when I noticed the 436 card was empty. I went and used the Formatter and re formatted the scanner SD card and the started up Uniden Sentinel software and cleared the user data and then went and did a write to scanner and this fixed everything.​


Thanks to everyone who help me I was really lost with this problem, and it's great to know that there are people like you who take the time to help people with problems like this. :):):):)
Now back to scanning.
Steve
 

N9JIG

Sheriff
Moderator
Joined
Dec 14, 2001
Messages
6,611
Reaction score
6,255
Location
Far NW Valley
Now that you know how to make them save your future self a little angst and make a spare SD Card. Tape it inside the battery door so that if you have a corrupted card in the future you can swap it out. Just remember to update it when you update your main card.
 

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
Now that you know how to make them save your future self a little angst and make a spare SD Card. Tape it inside the battery door so that if you have a corrupted card in the future you can swap it out. Just remember to update it when you update your main card.
Good idea, I will order one right now and do that, I Have a external backup drive on my computer that always backs up everything so it will be good to have a backup for the Scanner SD Card.(y)
Steve
 
Joined
Oct 18, 2022
Messages
226
Reaction score
128
Location
Sydney Australia
I'll see how I make out with the SD Adapter and if necessary I will have to buy a new card, thanks
Steve
I have a number of backup SD cards incase of corruption. Only thing is if I make a entry in Sentinal I have to update all my backup cards. Use ã quality SD card like SanDisk.
 
Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Moderator
Joined
Dec 14, 2001
Messages
6,611
Reaction score
6,255
Location
Far NW Valley
I have a number of backup SD cards incase of corruption. Only thing is if I make a entry in Sentinal I have to update all my backup cards. Use ã quality SD card like SanDisk.
Yeah, it adds some work. I usually do updates every couple of months and between 6 536's, 2 SDS's, a 436 and spares for each it is kind of a process. I have it down pat, since all the radios use the same software and Favorites Lists it is a lot easier. I use the same type and size card for each radio so it really doesn't matter what card goes into what radio except for the SDS's due to the display settings.

My NUC has an SD Card slot right on the front so I can easily swap the cards. For the 2 536's in the car I just go out and snag the cards and the spares and bring them inside to update them.
 

buddrousa

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
15,013
Reaction score
10,884
Location
Retired 40 Year Firefighter NW Tenn
Like Rich stated all good habits and you will never know when the card will fail so having one with the scanner is the best idea.
You have a spare tire for your car but if the tire is at home it does you no good unless you are at home.
 

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
I had the SDS 100 Scanner and I have the 436 scanner and I never thought about getting a sd card for them to have backups. I should have thought of doing sd card backups. I have a external hard drive for my computer that I do backups of my personal files and then I do backups of the whole computer operating system just in case. I learned the hard way with computers, I never did backups for a long time and then it Happened and I lost everything, all my private files and everything else. After a couple of days of the BIG CRY:(, I got it together and started to make backups all the time.
Steve
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top