436hp Can't Get Out Of Zip Code Search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
For the first time I tried to use the Zip Code function today ... now I cannot get out of it. It appears to only search the zip code area I put in, nothing else and I cannot get it to exit this.

I tried reading the manual , it only seems to say how to use this function, not get out of it.

Help? Please!

Thank you

JamesO

Assuming you have made a Favorites List then you do the following:

Press the Menu button, lower side button.

Choose Set Scan Selection by pushing the E/Yes/Q.Search key or push down on the upper multifunction knob.

Turn the multifunction knob and chose Select List To Monitor by pushing the E/Yes/Q.Search key or push down on the upper multifunction knob.

Change Full Database to OFF, by pushing the E/Yes/Q.Search key or push down on the upper multifunction knob.

If you do not have a Favorites List configured and enabled, and/or your Favorites have the wrong Service Type, you may get the message "Nothing To Scan".

phask

Premium Subscriber
If you can't figure that out - go into sentinel. favorite, set Monitor on for those favorite(s) that you use, uncheck monitor full database and write to scanner.

sefrischling

Phask,

When I switch Monitor Full Database to Off it says there is nothing to scan, although my Favourite Lists are in there.

On one hand, I am loving the 436hp, it is a great radio. On the other hand, it is a huge pain in the @$$

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

JamesO

Phask,

When I switch Monitor Full Database to Off it says there is nothing to scan, although my Favourite Lists are in there.

On one hand, I am loving the 436hp, it is a great radio. On the other hand, it is a huge pain in the @$$

I warned you!!!!!!!!!

If you do not have a Favorites List configured and enabled, and/or your Favorites have the wrong Service Type, you may get the message "Nothing To Scan".

If you made your Favorites List from "scratch", more than like the Service Type is filtering out the ability to scan anything. As a quick test, enable the Service Type "Custom 1" and see if the scanner starts to scan traffic. Also make sure the distance is not set too short and that the Favorites list is set to scan.

The HP scanners can filter out the ability to scan a lot of things that are programmed, if the programming is wrong or the filters are not set correctly, you will get the message "Nothing To Scan".

There is only 1 way to properly configure the scanner and MANY ways to improperly configure the scanner.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Phask,

Your profile also selects which favorite types are ON. When you write it changes them. I remember you custom make all your favorite lists so whatever service type you have for them needs to be on. Also location MAY be an issue if somehow you have location on for them.

Profile is the default for which FL is loaded - it uses the term monitor, which service types load by default and whether location is on for the FL.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Zip code scan is not a "mode." When you enter a zip code, you are telling the scanner your location. If you want to change the location, you need to either enter a different zip code or use some other method to change the location setting in the scanner. Simply entering a zip code only changes the system/department selections, it doesn't turn on or off favorites lists or affect any other setting.

sefrischling

UPMan,

How do you get it to stop that "location" mode/not mode/whatever-it-is called and go back to just searching your favourites (which I use like quick keys on the 346/396xt, even if that is not supposed to be how it works, it is how I have figured the scanner out and it works for me).

After a day of being able to only get the 436hp to work in ZipCode (not mode) I just wiped it and reloaded it now that I am home and 15min later everything is fine. I'd like to not have to wipe my radio every time I use ZipCode

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Set the favorites list to not pay attention to location (Location Control Off). Again, setting the zip code only tells the scanner its location, which changes the scan selection for items in favorites lists set to use location control (and for the main database always, if it is enabled). The scanner always has some location setting.

sefrischling

I have been through the menu, I must be missing it, where is location control? I see it discussed in the manual as well, but not how to access it.

Thanks for the help

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Without telling the scanner your location, It will probably scan entire database. Put in zip code and range will fine tune scanning to only those in that area. Then pick what services you want to listen to.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is a Favorites List setting.

MENU --> Manage Favorites --> (select the list to modify) --> Use Location Control --> Set to ON for scanner's location to control what is scanned in that FL or OFF for all unlocked systems/departments, etc to be scanned regardless of the scanner's location.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you are using Sentinel to manage/edit your Favorites Lists, you may wish to double check the Location Control setting for each Favorites List in Sentinel.

You do this by Edit Favorites List and click the Options Tab on the right pane. You will see Location Control with a dropdown box beside it. Yes = Location Control On, No = Location Control Off.

I'm thinking that if Location Control is on for your Favorites Lists in Sentinel, any future wrting to you scanner will over-write what you did as a result of Upman's suggestion.

baayers

I just wanted to say thank you to all that posted in this thread. This is a question I was wondering myself and now have the answers to. As a soon-to-be new owner in a couple of days it is nice to have been able to read this ahead of time and have a better understanding.

sefrischling

Baayers

Glad I was the idiot guinea pig for you.

When Phask tells you that you'll love the 436hp while wanting to slam it into a brick wall at the same time , listen to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.