436hp Freezes/Locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigk_54

Preface: I've ensured that sentinel is up to date, firmware is up to date as well as channels multiple times. Scanner is plugged into wall via Uniden supplied cord.

For the last few months I've been frustrated and beating my head against the wall as I know my 436 is missing a lot of traffic for our local channels. After knowing I'm missing traffic I have since moved into a new house where my scanner is next to me and I think I have partially figured out part of the problem. I had a channel have a lot of open channel noise so I reached over and hit avoid, nothing happened. This continues for 30+ seconds then all of a sudden I hear a beep and it starts to scan again. Didn't think much of it and said well its avoided and scanning. Few days later, repeat previous statement. I then start to look at my scanner more often and notice that it just randomly freezes, there is no traffic, its not an open channel, then all of a sudden it continues to scan :mad:. I've hit avoid on some channels and it will take sometimes 1-2 minutes after I hit the button for it to beep and continue on scanning. Multiple times since I started having issues I've plugged into computer to ensure that its up to date.
Ready to throw this thing against the wall at this point as it's a glorified paperweight. Anyone have this problem, any ideas how to fix it. I've tried to contact Uniden and unfortunately nothing.
Thank you!

bigk_54

Can you post a video?
It sounds like you may have Close Call Priority on - try switching to Close Call - DND or just Off
I believe it is off as I've never used it since my 996t because of delay issues, but I will double check that thank you!

RBMTS

There has been some previous threads in the past on the x36HP series about delays with button pushes. You might try to do a search of the forum for those and see what remedies there might be. If memory serves me correctly, it revolved around what the microprocessor was doing at the time and if there might be any writing to the SD card. I believe it was a delay of up to a few seconds but nothing with the amount of delay that you are referencing.

I'm wondering if it might be time to replace the SD card. Maybe part of the delays you are experiencing are do to the card. Just thinking out loud.

ScubaJungle

^^Trying a new SD card would be my next move - also, make sure your squelch isnt too low. I know you said it gets "stuck", but I have noticed that when the squelch is too low, it will do that on a channel even after skipping it.

bigk_54

I tried search but didn't see things relevant to my current issue but saw there were a lot of things under "lock up" and "frozen" after 2 pages. Figured this wasn't an isolated issue.

I have a spare SD card, I'll give that a try today as well as ensure squelch isn't too low which I typically run a little on the high side but worth a double check!

Thank you all greatly appreciate the feedback from everyone! (y)(y)

Ubbe

When the SD card begins to fill up with lots of recorded files it will slow down all operations. If you have left the record function on it has probably filled the SD card to the brim. Reformatting the SD card or just delete all files on it and then reprogram it again from Sentinel will probably clear up the issue.

/Ubbe

bigk_54

UPDATE:
Pulled card out, tried to format it and it wouldn't do it. Put in a brand new memory card, loaded info on it and seems to be working flawless! Thank you everyone for the help!!!! All the time I've spent googling and being frustrated and ya'll solved it in a couple hours, Have a great weekend!

Also, I don't ever record and my squelch was at 10, firmly believe it was the memory card

bigk_54

Your initial reluctance to blame the card is very typical.

Glad you got it fixed.

I wasn't reluctant, I just wanted to follow up that I checked everything everyone had mentioned for someone down the road that may have the issue and affirmed that I believe that cured my problem. Trying to figure this out prior to posting here the memory card never crossed my mind.

bigk_54

Just for reference, setting squelch at 10 may be causing you to miss a lot. I keep mine at 2 and I dont have any issues
WOW really, maybe I'll try to drop it a little, since I changed the SD Card I hear way more than I have in a long time, thrilled about this thing again

ScubaJungle

WOW really, maybe I'll try to drop it a little, since I changed the SD Card I hear way more than I have in a long time, thrilled about this thing again
Yep, I just tested it out and set my squelch to 10 with a few of my analog FLs on and I definitely lost quite a bit of traffic. It depends on your antenna too though, and how much noise there is. I can even get away with squelch at 1 with my antenna tuned well on some of my airband FLs. In that case, it really doesn't make much of a difference though, and I prefer to keep it at 2 because 1 tends to get stuck on noisy parts of the milair spectrum.

My advice would be to lower it down to 1 and move it up one at a time until you can scan through your FL without the squelch opening on noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.