Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_verasso

I'm between Floresville Texas and LaVernia Texas (Wilson county). Im picking up traffic on 460.150 But can not find an agency that is using it on the internet. Does anyone out there have an idea who it is? I'm using a BC 560xlt 16 channel scanner.

Wilson Co. S.O.
155.550-----Only picking up on this Freq.
155.880----- Series of buzz & hum's

Sanscanman

N5WRF
Premium Subscriber
Hello Mario and welcome to the forum.

I was able to find a listing for that Freq:

460.15000465.15000192.8 PLWNHT648Police Primary (162.2 PL on input)San Antonio Independent School District
Independent School DistrictsBexar TX
More than likely that is who you are hearing.

mario_verasso

Thank you...

Didn't figure on a reply so fast from anyone. Not really sure of these 3 i really want for scanners. Since you show alot of them I guess i can ask you. TheBC560xlt is great for when im in houston and a few areas around it. But i travel so much, just tired of punching in freqs every so many miles.

BCD996T / BCD996XT / GRE PSR-600 Scanner I hear good an bad about all 3. I know i want digital and trunking so that is how I arived at these choices but they are $350.00 to $500.00. Just worried about spending that money and wanting to toss it out the window.

davidbond21

With any of those 3 scanners, you could ostensibly program in all the known frequencies for every area you travel in and through, and with a couple key strokes could change between them without having to program anything else.

If you want digital, you might want to narrow your choice to the 996XT or PSR-600, as the older 996T from what I've heard had less than great digital decode, but the newer XT model I hear is pretty much equal in P25 decode to the PSR-600(which I have the radio shack version and it works great).

mario_verasso

I have read a few things about the 996XT & PSR-600. From what i read the PSR-600 has only 1,000 yards range. I understand that the 996XT does have a longer range than the 600. But i did hear that the PSR-600 did preform better than the 996XT in a few ways. Would you say any of this is correct?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Mario,

Range is only dependent on a few things:

A). the output power of the source (the dispatcher's radio power per se). The more the better.

B). the antenna you're using (and how high you can get it- line of sight is ideal, the more obstructions, the worse reception).

Those 2 things being said, a scanner is only as good as it's antenna, and don't expect any range going into the purchase. Each individual users exoerience will vary based on what you like to listen to (weak, low power signals vs. hig power ones), you're location (urban, rural, b.f.e.) and habits (monitoring in a vehicle vs. a building).

Personally I like GRE products (though in all honesty, I've only owned one Radio Shack branded Uniden product). Their customer service is second to none. They're always releasing online product updates (the 8th firmware upgrade in 4 years. If you call customer service (I cracked my case and wanted to fix it myself, so I called to order the parts) and talked to a human. Their user interface is a very intuitive fit with me and many others. Again, you're going to get just as many users telling you to go to Uniden though. I know of more GRE users in the San Anto area than Uniden (myself included).

It'd be an interesting poll to see how many Texas users (we have quite a few die hard digital listeners here) use which scanners (GRE vs. Uniden). It'd also be interesting to see how this lined up to the different digital trunked systems.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
It is very possible that you might have been hearing skip from Houston PD. I recognized the frequency from the one used in SW Houston. In Waco, I have monitored several known frequencies from Houston due to skip. I have heard skip mainly in the winter months on a hand held GRE PSR 500 and Uniden 245 XLT.

Status
Not open for further replies.