6 MTR Base antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
So looking for a decent built economical 6 meter base antenna. In my old shop days we installed hundreds of ASP-636 lowband antenna's on firehouses and EMS agencies. Apparently they are not made any more or google just doesn't like me today. Other than trying to find the ASP-635/634 and swapping all the whips out to 6 meter ones anyone have a decent basic antenna that may work. The plan is not to use 6mtr all the time more of a RX base station in my barn for stuff. Be nice to use simplex with some folks. Definitely needs to be a vertical. About 15' coax to the antenna.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I have the Diamond V2000A. Similar price to the Cushcraft AR6 Ringo, but I figured if I'm going to spend that much why not get an antenna that is a tribander (6M, 2M, 70cm) with about the same gain as the AR6? Not too many other lower cost options out there for 6M verticals... Comet has one similar to the Diamond but it is only dual band (GP6).

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I only need 6M and nothing more. Its hooked to a single channel radio. I guess I can look at the Ringo. to be honest forgot about them as I never had good luck with the VHF versions.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Diamond Antenna website lists a CP62 as a single-band 6m antenna. Equivalent of 2 5/8 wave antennas, 22 feet long. They also list a CP610 dual-band 10m/6m antenna, also 22 feet long.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend one of these if you can find a US distributor. Its similar to a Hy-Gain Penetrator 5/8 but cut down for 6m and its only $89.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I would recommend one of these if you can find a US distributor. Its similar to a Hy-Gain Penetrator 5/8 but cut down for 6m and its only $89.

Thanks I'll look at those.

ve3ext

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I'll look at those.
we a few weeks ago erected a hustler vr6., 25' long., reports say 2-3db gain over the previous cushcraft 6 m ringo
At my qth., signal is full quieting in the basement on a 1/4 wave whip., before I got no signal at all!
We are a happy., I think? -one concern., specs say it's rated for 65 mph wind., I'm a bit leery about that we'll see

jerry VE3EXT

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I had not seen the VR6 until now and its made by Hy-Gain. Its a stacked 5/8 over 5/8 which will give a little gain over a single 5/8, not quite 3dB but probably 1.5 to 2dB. The only problem I see is its "discounted" price of $339.

we a few weeks ago erected a hustler vr6., 25' long., reports say 2-3db gain over the previous cushcraft 6 m ringo
At my qth., signal is full quieting in the basement on a 1/4 wave whip., before I got no signal at all!
We are a happy., I think? -one concern., specs say it's rated for 65 mph wind., I'm a bit leery about that we'll see

jerry VE3EXT

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
After reading up on the Hy-Gain VR6 I'm not as interested due to some mechanical and water leakage problems reported. It is after all made by Hy-Gain, now owned by MFJ and we all know what that means for quality. Here is a site that has done some upgrades and also built a few from nearly scratch. It seems the performance is very good, its just the reliability that's questionable. Improving the Hy-Gain V-6R 6-Meter Collinear Gain Vertical Antenna

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
MY concern is how well a 25' antenna is gonna fair in the wind I get. My station master is fine but I have yet to see a HAM antenna made as well as the commercial stuff. I think I have a line on an ASP so maybe I can get what I want.

merlin

Best bang for the buck I have found is the ringo. Performs well across the band and will take your wind. (short of hurricane)
China is making cheap clones, same antenna just lighter gauge material, probably snap in 50 MPH wind.
Get the genuine if you go that route.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Of several 6m antennas some 6m enthusiasts tested, the Ringo had about the worst radiation pattern that missed the horizon.

Best bang for the buck I have found is the ringo. Performs well across the band and will take your wind. (short of hurricane)
China is making cheap clones, same antenna just lighter gauge material, probably snap in 50 MPH wind.
Get the genuine if you go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.