8.989 KHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_White

8.989 KHz USB 23:37 UTC
Just found this tuning the dial but,
can't find ony info on it.
Spanish speaking, kinda sounds like a church service or something..
Any one know who it is?

KC0QNB

8989 upper I remember it well, back in the mid '80s I was listening and what I heard was, looking glass, looking glass, this is blah, blah (don't remember)
how copy? over It was a lot of fun hearing it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nominally this is an Aero off route freq, but offhand I'd say you caught someone rebroadcasting a church service or similar. I've seen this reported in the maritime portion of the band, but only occasionally. In the maritime band, it's thought it's being done for the comfort of the sailors at sea, particularly if they don't have a chaplain on board. Out here, though, it's hard to guess.

73 Mike

bailenforcer

8.989 USB answer

I just found this, but for many years I have monitored 8989khz and It has been used by Norad for strategic Bombers (Nukes). I have heard codes passed here since the late 1970's .

I have not listened of late, but last year it was still active.

8.989 KHz USB 23:37 UTC
Just found this tuning the dial but,
can't find ony info on it.
Spanish speaking, kinda sounds like a church service or something..
Any one know who it is?

Star56

Premium Subscriber
8989 upper I remember it well, back in the mid '80s I was listening and what I heard was, looking glass, looking glass, this is blah, blah (don't remember)
how copy? over It was a lot of fun hearing it.

Looking Glass...naughty boy :)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That's not a broadcast frequency so what you heard was some sort of pirate, lid operator or spurious emission from a broadcast transmitter. The latter is not all that uncommon, some countries are notorious for poor transmitter maintenance and thumbing their noses at interference complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.