800 mhz yagi antenna review buy this antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitbr

I recently bought a new yagi ant to replace the yagi I was currently using.
After much research I decided to buy the 824-960, 15dBi, Terrawave Yagi Base Antenna model T09150Y11206T .
This is an 18 element yagi with a female N connector for the coax connector.
Here are the specs of the ant

Product Description 824-960 MHz 15 dBi Yagi
Specific Freq. (MHz) 824-960 MHz
Gain (dBd) 12.86
Maximum Power Input (Watts) 50
Type Yagi (For Outdoor Use Only)

Product Narrative TERRAWAVE 824-960 MHz 15 dBi Yagi Antenna. Comes with Articulating Mount & 12" Pigtail with N Jack.
Bandwidth @ Rated VSWR (MHz) 136 MHz

H. Beamwidth 28 Deg.
Vert. Beamwidth 28 Deg.
Front to Back Ratio (dB) >= 18 dB
VSWR @ 50 ohms <= 1.5

Gain (dBi) 15
Polarization Vertical or Horizontal
Lightning Prot. Not Specified

Size (HxWxD") 50.4" Long
Weight 1.45 lb
Rated Wind Velocity (RWV) 120 MPH
Wind Load, (sq ft) Not Specified

Connector (direct) N-Style Jack (Female)
Jumper Included 12" Pigtail

Mount Hdw. Incl. Steel Mounting Bracket
Incl. Hardware Fits 1.57" to 2.76"
Mfg. Warranty 2 Years
Price $61.95
I bought it from Scannermaster.

Here is my nonscientific real life results on performance of this ant.
As I said earlier it is replacing a 6 element yagi I have been using made by Decible. The gain on the Decible is around 9 db.with a bandwidth of around 48 degrees freq is the same and height for this comparison is the same for both antennas approx 20 ft off the ground

The scanner I am using here in Pinellas County FL is the Home Patrol HP1E

When listening to Pasco County trs approx 20 miles to my north the Terrawave ant saw 3 red bars on the systems status page. The old yagi did not even move the meter 0 bars.

When listening to the Hillsborough Cnty trs 20 miles east of me the Terrawave ant saw 4-5 bars on the west tower. The old yagi saw 1-2 bars.

Audio wise with the new Terrawave ant both above systems were full quieting, on the old yagi you could here the sig but it was scratchy.

On the new Terrawave ant if you turn the yagi more than 10 degrees either side of the transmitting tower you are trying to listen too the sig would start to degrade....this is both good and bad, good because it eliminates interference , bad because you have to aim the ant accurately to get the strongest sig. The old 6 element didnt have this problem however it picked up more interference.

The build quality of the 18 element Terrawave yagi is superb.

I like to listen to distant trs systems when the 800mhz band is open to distant areas and this new ant works extremely well for this.The narrow bandwidth eliminates unwanted sigs very well and has an excellent back to front ratio.

My conclusion
BUY THIS ANTENNA..... it is reasonably priced can be purchased from Scannemaster who by the way are excellent to deal with.

P.S. Just so you know from my location inside my house using the radio shack 800mhz ant on the HP1E neither of the above trs systems in this review can be heard at all.

Don't forget that this ant mates with an N connector you will need an adapter unless your coax uses n connectors.

Want to buy this ant the direct link is below....
Terrawave T09150Y11206T Yagi Base Antenna

Please leave your comment on this review any questions will be answered.
Tim
kg4jjs

LtDoc

I think if you tripled the number of elements and effectively doubled the stations you can hear (or their strength), you are seeing a very 'typical' result. Glad it worked for you.
- 'Doc

mitbr

I think if you tripled the number of elements and effectively doubled the stations you can hear (or their strength), you are seeing a very 'typical' result. Glad it worked for you.
- 'Doc

Absolutely agree Doc It took awhile for me to find something that would show max improvement for lowest price. You never know how a new ant will perform until you try it in your own situation regardless of its documented specs.

Thanks for commenting.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.