8992 Morse Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Im getting a very loud station sending Morse code on 8992 USB at about S-10+ here on the east coast. Does anybody have a code reader that can decipher this traffic? Its being sent at a very fast rate.

brandon

Database Admin
I can hear it but still pretty weak with local daylight. Must be coming from somewhere a lot closer to the eastern USA.
Looks to be on 8993

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ok...thanks for the report brandon.Very loud signal here almost S20+ now and continuous.I need to download a code reader UGH! Its being sent so fast I can't write it down.I would love to know who this station is.

Token

Very weak here in California. But what I am hearing right now are groups of 5 cut numbers (or letters) being sent. So just 5 number groups, but all using cut numbers (or letters, cut numbers are just using short CW letters in place of long CW numbers), in 15 minutes of listening so far that is all I have heard. And the cf of the CW is 8993.

The most likely answer here is that it is numbers station M51 (FAV22). In which case it is French military training. If it was a little stronger and I could catch the break or the end I could be more sure, but call it 80+% sure that this is M51.

T!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Very weak here in California. But what I am hearing right now are groups of 5 cut numbers (or letters) being sent. So just 5 number groups, but all using cut numbers (or letters, cut numbers are just using short CW letters in place of long CW numbers), in 15 minutes of listening so far that is all I have heard. And the cf of the CW is 8993.

The most likely answer here is that it is numbers station M51 (FAV22). In which case it is French military training. If it was a little stronger and I could catch the break or the end I could be more sure, but call it 80+% sure that this is M51.

T!

Awesome info Token! I find it Interesting that the French would use 8992 for this type training when its well known HFGCS voice freq. Could this be a joint exercise?

SCPD

QRT
8993 oops...Im using a Satellite 750 so I'm not surprised its off a bit. I guess you get what you pay for.lol.

Last edited:

Token

No, not a joint exercise. M51 just seems to pop up anyplace it wants to, there is no telling what freq it might show up on next.

As far as the Sat 750 and the freq as 8992, the cf of the CW is 8993, but if you are listening in USB or CW-USB mode then you have to offset the tuned freq from the transmitted freq by the pitch that you want the CW to sound at. So, if the CW is 8993 and you are tuned to 8992 in USB mode the CW pitch will be 1000 Hz. This is pretty normal and common for many receivers when listening to CW in an SSB mode, including ones that cost a good bit more than the 750.

T!

majoco

Stirrer
I've been listening to him now for over half an hour and it's been continuous 5 letter groups with about 6 full size number groups in the middle - no breaks for callsigns or anything - about 20wpm machine. Good copy although not moving the 's' meter off the stop (apart from the humungous lightning crashes) Occasional voice-overs from Andrews female. 0330 to 0400z and still going.......

At 0405 he sent (in morse)- end of message twice (AR) - then wait (AS) - then "NW MSG NR 341" and back into the 5 letter groups again....slowly starting to fade....

Surprisingly copy is actually better on my Yaesu VR5000 on a discone that it is on the NRD515 on the longwire! Still going strong at 0420. Tried the WinRad G303 and about the same as the 515 - may be a directional thing with my longwire running North-South.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
There's lots of us geriatrics who read it like a second language! I learnt it back in the early 60's when training for my sea-going radio officer's ticket and it won't go away!

gcgrotz

There are CW programs for your PC, CWGET comes to mind. Most work ok on machine sent code but not so much with a sloppy fist. Still can't beat the human brain.

k9rzz

There are CW programs for your PC, CWGET comes to mind. Most work ok on machine sent code but not so much with a sloppy fist. Still can't beat the human brain.

Yup. Grab a bug and send with a 'tuna boat swing' (huh?) and that computer of yours will never copy it! HA HA!

Dit dit dit ... dit DAHHHHHHHHH. (anyone out there ever work the Chicken Choker's Net?)

Status
Not open for further replies.