98 Jeep Cherokee Sport - PSR500 or any mobile radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Nice setup you got there Mister Toad!
I especially like the zip tie solution... very Macgyver like ;-)
btw: What kind of stubby antenna is that on your psr-500? I was thinking about getting one for myself.....

Radio shack $5 jobbie it works great!

kadetklapp

I use a Shelf It in my 2000 XJ with a 2 meter rig, scanner, ext spkr and room for more. Here's a link

That's a good idea. Do you have any pics of your install???

Hey Calgary, what kind of stereo is that? Looks like a nice one. LMK!

Jeeps, especially Cherokees, are somewhat difficult to install. My dad's last police car was a 97 Cherokee 4x4 that the town bought new. We had a heck of a time, ended up using a modified bag phone tower and it's still in use today. Makes for a cramped passenger though.

Quagmire69

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Very nice set-up, I like the "stealthiness" of it. Have you ever considered any mobile antennas, Those would look boss on any SUV, Especially a jeep.

If you're interested in any mobile antennas, Feel free to shoot me a PM, I can point you in the right direction.

kadetklapp

Anyone know what kind of stereo he has in there?

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a Cherokee here soon, would defintetly like to see some overhead mounting options for those of you that have the shelf.

steveh552

Anyway, I'm hoping to get a Cherokee here soon, would defintetly like to see some overhead mounting options for those of you that have the shelf.

There is a website that has several photos of how people have mounted things in their Grand Cherokees over head, let me know if your interested. It is a forum and you must register to view that part, but its free.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I used your zip tie trick to give me a place to hang the pro 97 when my truck is full (and my cupholders are blocked). Works great as long as I use the stubby antenna, but that's usually only on UHF since I use a real radio for VHF RXing.

rocknrun

Nice, imaginative improvisation! I like that! But it's time for a reality check...

Dude, it's a ten year old car worth no more than $1500 dollars. It's not a baby anymore. Time to man-up and drill that hole. ;)

I agree, get out the drill and mount some whips on the roof. Don't agree with the value though; if you find a nice looking XJ like that one for $1500 you are getting a really great deal. The Cherokees hold their value pretty well due to their reputation of being able to put a lot of miles on them with few problems. I have over 262 thousand miles on my 2000 XJ with no major repairs and it's still going strong. My antennas are on the outside though!

kadetklapp

Thanks to Rocknrun for sending me pics last night!

As for the value, I'm finding Cherokees on my local Craigslist 1997-1999 for around $2500-$3000 in decent shape. I'm definetely hunting one right now, soon as I can get my other car sold I'm picking one up.

As for drilling holes, just do it. One thing to think about would be if you want to mount one of those fancy off-road racks on the roof, then what will you do with the antennas? Something to think about. I don't really dig some of the Jeep lo-band CB mounts, I'm thinking maybe a standard public safety ball mount on the rear fender with the whip secured on a tab on the roof.

SCPD

QRT

kadetklapp

Heres the IC V8000 install in my "new" 99 Cherokee Sport

jeeps026.jpg

Need to get a new Moto speaker

jeeps030.jpg

smason

I should have taken a photo of my 95 Jeep Grand before I sold it. I had a noce clean install of an Alinco 590t. Radio was under the passenger seat, control head was mounted on the front of the ash tray.
When I sold it, I just covered the 2 small holes in the ash tray with black electrical tape, and you'd never notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.