996 audio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlb

I just lost the audio on my 996. The headphone output is still functioning but the on board speaker and external speaker output are as dead as a rock. I just started using ARC996 but dont think this had anything to do with it. Has any one else had a similar problem.

N9WP

I've heard that sometimes the headphone jack may get stuck, meaning it still thinks there are headphones plugged into it, you may try plugging and unplugging the headphones out of the jack to see if that helps. I'm sure others will jump in here with some other suggestions especially since I've read about this on here before.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
N9WP said:
I've heard that sometimes the headphone jack may get stuck, meaning it still thinks there are headphones plugged into it, you may try plugging and unplugging the headphones out of the jack to see if that helps. I'm sure others will jump in here with some other suggestions especially since I've read about this on here before.

That is a (seemingly) common issue with the '996. It happened to mine after I was using a headphone in the front jack, then unplugged it. I could still get audio as long as I used a headphone, but nothing from the built-in speaker. I had to return the radio to Uniden to get the front headphone jack replaced.

bonus1331

Had the same thing happen to my BCT-15 about 2 weeks ago.
Just haven't had the time to box and send in for repair.

dlb

Thanks for the input. Tried repeated insertion of the headphone jack (can I say that here?) but nothing. Opened the case and tried to access the headphone jack but its a bit tight. Looks like it off to Uniden or get a bigger hammer.

dlb

Thanks Torontokris that was in interesting read. Looks like its back to Uniden or out with the trusty ol 140 watt Weller. Does anyone know where I might get a schematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.