BCD325P2/BCD996P2: 996P2 P25 Conventional Talkgroups

cowand

Is there a way to program a Uniden 996XT P2 to monitor P25 Conventional channels over a Simulcast system that have talkgroups assigned to them? Yes, VHF P25 Conventional simulcast system with talkgroups <sigh>. I have experience programming ASTRO & P25 trunked systems (Motorola, EF Johnson, Kenwood, Harris) for quite a while and have programmed some P25 scanners but have never run across anything like this for a scanner. The scanner will not receive using the correct NAC or F7E. Any help would be appreciated.

BinaryMode

Are all simulcast systems phase II? If not and this VHF system is phase I then you can monitor it with that scanner. Just keep in mind simulcast can be a PITA and the SDS scanners or a Unication pager/scanner is what you really want. Not sure how SDRs fair with simulcast, but that too could be an option.

The 996XT is a pretty cool little scanner. I own one and is my dispatch monitoring scanner.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
The OP is talking about conventional P25, nothing to do with trunking at all.

BinaryMode

Conventional or trunked, simulcast could pose a problem with more than one of the same voice frequency, right?

cowand

The Uniden 996XT is not a P25 P2 Receiver
If your scanner is the BCD996P2 then Kevins answer is correct.
Yes, BCD996P2 is correct. I see so many radios & numbers my brain is fried. I'll try the One frequency trunk option. It isn't trunked but when I get back to my office, I'll try that out. Wouldn't the scanner want to listen to a control channel? I appreciate everyone chipping in info! I'll report back when I find something out.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Yes, BCD996P2 is correct. I see so many radios & numbers my brain is fried. I'll try the One frequency trunk option. It isn't trunked but when I get back to my office, I'll try that out. Wouldn't the scanner want to listen to a control channel? I appreciate everyone chipping in info! I'll report back when I find something out.
Negative on the CC. OFT is a stupid term Uniden came up with for being able to use TG’s on conventional frequencies.

cowand

Are all simulcast systems phase II? If not and this VHF system is phase I then you can monitor it with that scanner. Just keep in mind simulcast can be a PITA and the SDS scanners or a Unication pager/scanner is what you really want. Not sure how SDRs fair with simulcast, but that too could be an option.

The 996XT is a pretty cool little scanner. I own one and is my dispatch monitoring scanner.
Not Phase 2. This is a conventional system, not trunked. It uses multiple Harris P25 repeaters simulcasted, connected with microwaves. It's a very rare setup.

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
Negative on the CC. OFT is a stupid term Uniden came up with for being able to use TG’s on conventional frequencies.

and.... the 996P2 doesn't do OFT very well... it misses half the calls. Uniden has fixed the issue with OFT in the SDS scanners, but not on the 996P2 or HP series

Bill

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
and.... the 996P2 doesn't do OFT very well... it misses half the calls. Uniden has fixed the issue with OFT in the SDS scanners, but not on the 996P2 or HP series

Bill
Personally I think OFT all around sucks and is a poor way to take advantage of TG’s in P25 and DMR.

cowand

Great. Thank you, Bill! I actually work for the Agency but I have an asset that needs a scanner. LONG story.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm kinda scratching my head on this. On one hand the OP is talking Conventional System, but then talkgroups which are trunked system things. . .

OP: Is there any chance you might be thinking about the current Kentucky State Police radio system (being as though you are in Nashville)?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I'm kinda scratching my head on this. On one hand the OP is talking Conventional System, but then talkgroups which are trunked system things. . .

OP: Is there any chance you might be thinking about the current Kentucky State Police radio system (being as though you are in Nashville)?
Conventional P25 can use TG’s.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Is some of the confusion relating to the definition of “P2”? Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe P2 relates to Phase II (Phase 2). And P2 is the second phase of Project 25. Project 25 related to the ability for one manufacturers equipment to be compatible with another’s. It’s called “interoperability”. P2 can refer to both conventional and trunked systems, both analogue and digital.

That ability to be digital or analogue AND both trunked or conventional threw me in the beginning. And one of the reasons I write this… I am looking for confirmation of what I write is correct and if so, help with the OP’s original question, or a correction to my thinking about what P2 actually is.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
It ain't that hard people. The OP wants to monitor specific TG's on a conventional P25 frequency. No trunking or Phase 2 or squelch set to 2 involved. Just conventional P25 using talkgroups.