996T help

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9gunner

I just got the cable that Uniden forgot to include with my new 996. I have a newer Dell home computer, but no matching plug on the back for this cable? Can I buy an adapter to switch it to USB? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Uniden sells their own USB interface (I think it's referred to as the USB-1) with the drivers being downloadable from the same site as their firmware for the scanner. Scan Control also has such a beast, and I've no doubt others will work as well.

73s Mike

k9gunner

Ok, I have all my cables. Now how do I use this database to input my info? Is there a way to transfer it all over?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
k9gunner said:
Ok, I have all my cables. Now how do I use this database to input my info? Is there a way to transfer it all over?
If you mean importing from the database here into software, then downloading to your 996, that can be done.
First, though, you'd need to be a Premium subscriber. The software web imports or downloads needed will not be accessible without this.

For software, the most popular choice is Butel's ARC996. This is also available from Scannermaster. You can download your systems to the software, tweak as necessary, then load them into the scanner.

Also available is ScanControl. With this program, you'd download system data as a *.csv file, then import that into the software for editing. Not quite as simple as Butel's process, but the package supports multiple scanners, whereas ARC996 only covers the one model. I've used ScanControl's import on my 330; not sure how(or if) the Lat/Long data would import on a 996 (don't have one yet).

k9gunner

Is the butel software free? I downloaded a trail version, but it said it would only work for 30 min? I don't mind paying for it if I can download it? I am just wanting to get this programmed and overwith.

k9gunner

I just paid the subscriber fee, so if someone can walk me through the transfer, I would greatly appreciate it. May even be a free police dept drug unit T-Shirt in it for the person who helps

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Exactly what system(s) are you trying to program. The help you need depends on what type of system (conventional? Motorola? ??) as well as what you want to listen to on that system.

Assuming it is a site on the Ohio MARCS system, for example, you:

1) Create a Motorola System and name it.
2) Program the control channel frequencies for at least one site.
3) Create at least one (channel) group.
4) Program the channels (TGID's) into the channel group you created.

Maybe upload the worksheets you filled out from the manual and we can help with more specificity.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
k9gunner said:
I just paid the subscriber fee, so if someone can walk me through the transfer, I would greatly appreciate it. May even be a free police dept drug unit T-Shirt in it for the person who helps

Start ARC996 and click 'Internet' then select Conv. or trunked. Next enter your username/password and then you can browse the database and import your local systems (also see software user manual).

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

k9gunner

Gommert, I attempted to do that, however for some reason I am scanning sites, all sites, not just the local MARCS? Sor for instance, I am in Dayton Ohio. I have entered the entire state of Ohio state system. I would like the system scan the local sites, however it pulls off the local site to scan the rest of the state. I have tried it with both GPS enabled and disabled.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
GPS Enabled/Disabled only matters if you connect a GPS. By "I am scanning all sites" I assume you mean "all sites on the MARCS system."

If that is the case, then you need to either lockout or assign a different SQK to the sites that are not the ones you want.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
Either assign quickkeys to the different sites so you can easily toggle them on/off or use the GPS option (with a GPS receiver) and assign lat/long/range info so the scanner will automatically switch sites on/off.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

k9gunner

So just to get this correct (sorry I am new), I need to take the 70 some sites, assign each one a quickkey, then as I drive, figure which site I am near, and turn it on? I thought there way a way that I could scan the system, and only recieve the active site or sites, without pulling my control channel off to scan the sites that are out of range?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The scanner can do this, but only when you connect a GPS. Since the scanner cannot communicate outbound, it cannot actually "affiliate" like 2-way radios can. If the scanner could be anywhere in the state, you'd need to enable all sites. If the scanner is going to be used within a limited geographic area, then you can reduce the time the scanner spends looking for the remote sites by assigning local sites to a seperate quick key.

Status
Not open for further replies.