996XT and ProScan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF7ZXT

I'm not a scanner newbie, but I am a newbie to the 996XT. I think I've got the concepts of dynamic memory down (thanks to several members), but now I'm struggling to get systems/sites/and groups programmed in correctly. I've tried the following programming software:

- FreeScan - like the notes field with additional info downloaded from RadioReference, but every time I upload I get "scanner memory errors", which doesn't make sense since I'm using less than 1% of the XT memory. I don't want to break things into tiny chunks every time I upload, and it's simply not accepting some talk groups other software manages.
- ARC XT Pro - I've played with this one the least, but it's interface is just uninspiring, so didn't dive in too deep.
- ProScan (this is were I started, and what I have the most experience with). I like the interface, everything seems layed out logically. I like the virtual scanner (great for learning how to use the faceplate from my PC).

I'm not wedded to the ProScan, but the fundamental problem I'm having is with the "Quick Keys/Search Keys" tab. My issues are these:

- It doesn't seem to accept Systems (groups of sites and Group Quick keys) as a System Quick key - it seems to only accept sites (which must be set from the Systems Tab). So it seems to force me to define every group of Group Quick Keys to a single site. That seems wrong.
- I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get "Group Quick Keys" to populate on this tab, under a system, a site, or whatever.

Please help. What am I missing?

Many thanks in advance.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One very prevalent fact - trunking on the XT scanners is done at the site, not system, level. Systems in a trunking definition is used for a logical gathering point, with some additional variables, for all sites within it.

Systems are used in conventional definitions and are scanned as such.

Remember groups in a trunked system can be shared within multiple sites (this is the essence of multi site trunking). Groups aren't shared this way in a conventional system.

Mike

[edit] One of the more common ways you would get memory errors could be that the port on the scanner is set up for a faster speed than you're sending the data. Another might be a crappy driver (USB devices can be notoriously fickle). I would start with insuring that the speed on the port of the scanner is set correctly...

Last edited:

KF7ZXT

Thanks, Mike.

I guess I've sort of known this, but have resisted it (yes, denial). Here's why:

My county system has 13 sites and roughly 30 agencies I'm interested in tracking. I effectively want to break them into PD, Fire/EMS - and then those close to home that I'd monitor regularly, and then basically two concentric circles further out. But, I'd like to be able to get a "close in" Group when I might be on an outer concentric circle.

So, I guess maybe you're telling me I need to set up the all the groups under each of the 13 individual site?

Also, any familiarity with ProScan and why Group Quick Keys are not propagating to the "Quick Keys/Search Keys" tab?

lep

I have the 996XT, I am listening to it as I type. I use both Proscan and ARC Pro. I use Proscan for actual scanning and logging but ARC for downloading from RR. I think the graphic look of Proscan is superior to the "look" of ARC but prefer ARC to do the downloading/updating. I have never seen "memory errors" but then I do not use "Free Scan" and am therefore not familiar with it. My only comment is that as a professional I expect to be paid for my work and therefore I have no problem with purchasing software.

LEP

KF7ZXT

I have the 996XT, I am listening to it as I type. I use both Proscan and ARC Pro. I use Proscan for actual scanning and logging but ARC for downloading from RR. I think the graphic look of Proscan is superior to the "look" of ARC but prefer ARC to do the downloading/updating. I have never seen "memory errors" but then I do not use "Free Scan" and am therefore not familiar with it. My only comment is that as a professional I expect to be paid for my work and therefore I have no problem with purchasing software.

LEP

Agreed, I'm happy to pay for something that fits my needs. The $50 that ProScan or ARC costs is more than worth it if it works and saves headaches. But I've seen that others here swear by FreeScan. I just found FreeScan lacking in all ways except the Notes or Comments field with uploads additional info from RR.com, and could be useful in making my own notes.

I'm happy to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.