A few Beginner's questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSpalsh

Member
Joined
May 28, 2006
Messages
1
I am interested in listening to O.P.P. frequencies in the Bolton/Caledon Ontario area.

Can this be done or are these frequencies now encrypted?
What kind of scanner would I need?
Being here in Canada, where would I buy one?
 

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
3,631
Location
Downtown Hamilton
Hi, there are a few scanners @ a few ways to monitor the OPP.
1) You can buy a digital scanner. Most of the OPP comms are not encypted but digital.
A few common radios: Pro96 on the Radio Shack side & Unidens 396D, 296 and 250 to give an example of portable ones.

You can purchase these scanners at scannermaster.com on line or if you prefer canadian
Durham radio and radioworld in the NW of T.O.
Google their websites for a look.

These scanners are not cheap.
If & is ahuge issue you can always get a non-digital scanner and punch in conventional repeater frequencies but you have to be close enough. to the action to receive these.

Ipersonally have an older digital scanner (296) and it works fine
E
 

b_lasalle

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2005
Messages
40
Location
Brantford, Ontario
It's less of a hastle buying a digital scanner from the U.S.A. I bought my BC796D used, haven't had any problems with it.It cost less than buying from Canada even with the exchange rate even if it's new.
 

MetalCarnage

Member
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
735
Location
Ajax Ontario
b_lasalle said:
It's less of a hastle buying a digital scanner from the U.S.A. I bought my BC796D used, haven't had any problems with it.It cost less than buying from Canada even with the exchange rate even if it's new.

I want to buy a BCD396T from the states because it is SOOO much cheaper, and the dollar is good too, but i am afraid of getting raped with border fees, and i cant seem to find a single store that is close to buffalo so i can just scoot across the border and get one..
 

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Messages
13,409
Location
Oot and Aboot
MetalCarnage said:
but i am afraid of getting raped with border fees, and i cant seem to find a single store that is close to buffalo so i can just scoot across the border and get one..

Border fees are pretty easy to calculate:

1) Brokerage. Call up the courier company you're using, give them the approximate value and ask them what their brokerage charge is.

2) Calculate GST and PST on your item.

Add item 1 to item 2 and you've got your border fees.

Canada Post is the cheapest at just under $10 for brokerage. The other courier companies rates vary so best to check with them.
 

MetalCarnage

Member
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
735
Location
Ajax Ontario
Mike_Oxlong said:
Border fees are pretty easy to calculate:

1) Brokerage. Call up the courier company you're using, give them the approximate value and ask them what their brokerage charge is.

2) Calculate GST and PST on your item.

Add item 1 to item 2 and you've got your border fees.

Canada Post is the cheapest at just under $10 for brokerage. The other courier companies rates vary so best to check with them.

I go to Buffalo all the time, i would rather just drop by a store and buy one and drive back, lol
 

xml

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
15
I've found the best way to bring across radio equiptment is just use Canada Post/USPS...

Most stuff is taxed, but, you might get lucky and pay nothing.

When I purchased a BC296D a couple years ago from Groove Enterprises... no taxes or the $5 or $10 Canada Post charges for "brokerage"...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top