A Quality handheld ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Can someone recommend a good Quality DMR capable ham radio, money is not a issue here, just want a top of the line handheld Ham radio capable of all things possible.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Btech 6X2 (also sold as the Anytone) is one of the better in features. They are two different brands but come out of the same factory. For commercial quality, Motorola is about the only choice, although the Hytera brand is very good but their future is questionable. I have also had good results with the mobile and HTs from Connect Systems. One of the Motorola handicaps is the cost of the CPS unless you have someone program it for you. Most of the lower price brands have decent software.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Thje Bridgecom HT is also a reative of the Btech and Anytone group. They seem to have a better support plan, but I have not tried it as I have too many radios now. I got my first DMR 8 years ago and have added a new one each of the last 7 years.

KO4IPV

Thje Bridgecom HT is also a reative of the Btech and Anytone group. They seem to have a better support plan, but I have not tried it as I have too many radios now. I got my first DMR 8 years ago and have added a new one each of the last 7 years.
You are a devoted Ham enthusiast! And cannot wait to have to many radios thanks for the help.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I thoroughly enjoy my Anytone 878. I'd say it's the most feature-rich DMR HT on the market. I also thoroughly enjoy my Motorola XPR7550e radios too. Can't beat the quality, but it's different. It is a commercial radio that just happens to be usable on amateur radio. The Anytone 878 is really an amateur radio that seems to have been designed with amateur radio in mind.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well, I just recently joined the dmr community and getting all re-interested in vhf/uhf ham radio again. Love my AnyTone 878UV. Doesn't feel like a CCR at all, very solidly built with commercial grade graphics. I got my whole pkg from Bridgecom - handheld mic, leather case, the dmr introductory library, all of it for $250. Not a bad investment, and not a big loss if I get bored with it.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
FOR SINGLE BAND UHF or VHF DMR - The TYT MD-380/390 are the best consumer-grade $ NOT commercial grade $$$. Both models are Super Hetradyne receivers, not direct conversion. Pretty much the only consumer-grade super het receivers on the market. They also scan and the software can set up different groups import codeplugs etc.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased the Anytone AT-D878UV Plus with a DMR DVMega Hotspot. This seems to be a great radio and BridgeCom has lots of training videos to help people who are new to DMR like me. They also have a plug and play package that makes the transition a lot easier.
https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/products/anytone-at-d878uv-dual-band-dmr-handheld-radio-w-gps-programming-cable
https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/collections/dmr-plug-and-play-packages/products/anytone-plus-dvmega-plug-and-play-package

N4KVE

Since the OP said ”money is not an issue”, the 7550e is the best DMR radio. Yes, it is a commercial radio, & the Chinese radios do offer ham friendly features, I’ve never missed any of those features, knowing the 7550e is a far superior radio. Plenty of clean pre owned 7550’s on social media radio groups for $250-$300.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The best sounding DMR handheld I ever heard is a Kenwood 5300 series. The quality was incredible. That line of radios is not inexpensive. I have a Btech 6X2 and a Motorola SL7550. Both work well enough, but that Moto has limited range and power. My coverage here is fine and I like the small size of the Moto. The Btech is another flavor of the 878 and works very well.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
If money is no object, really, then +1 for the Kenwood 5300 radios.
The dual-band DMR radios are almost all ham radios with Part 95 acceptance for commercial use. Not to disparage ham radio-oriented radios.
If there is some small concern about the upper funding limit, well, I have an Alinco DJ-MD5T that is a VERY close relative of the 878, and the bonus is that there is US-based support.

Every word of the above is one person's opinion, offered as friendly input and not worthy of 3rd party criticism.

prcguy

Dual band? Uhh, no, gotta buy two of um for hamster use. Anytone 878 rocks. On some of the commercial radio forums the Motorola geeks are raving about the Anytone 878.

Since the OP said ”money is not an issue”, the 7550e is the best DMR radio. Yes, it is a commercial radio, & the Chinese radios do offer ham friendly features, I’ve never missed any of those features, knowing the 7550e is a far superior radio. Plenty of clean pre owned 7550’s on social media radio groups for $250-$300.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Have had my AnyTone 878 for a couple weeks now and really enjoying it. I also got the DVMEGA Hotspot to access talkgroups. All the Repeaters here in the Keys were destroyed during Hurricane Irma. Only a couple repeaters in the lower Keys have been repaired and upgraded to DMR also. Using DMR and Hotspot is the only way to go if no access to a DMR Repeater. Crystal clear reception and able to talk around the world. I'm going to install a DMR Hotspot in my vehicle in the future and use my cell phone wifi hotspot for access to the worldwide DMR network. A lot of my contacts are doing this already. Again, you can't go wrong with the AnyTone 878 from BridgeCom. They are very supportive of the equipment they sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.