AA County - New Zone 71?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've been geeking a lot this holiday, listening to scanner and experimenting with the 64bit version of Windows Vista. Anywho, I caught a conversation between officers on the AA County Police South Aux channel about 4th of July operations in south county, specifically about what TG that the were supposed to use. The dispatcher had assigned channel 11H, but the officer was questioning that assignment, thinking maybe she meant channel 71H. The officer wasn't sure if his radio could operate on 11H anymore. Curious.

CA
Annapolis

troymail

Silent Key
Sounds right - before the last big change-over, fire department units got new radios. FD units operated on (if I recall correctly) ZONE 31 until the change ... then, everything went to ZONE 1 afterwards.

EDIT: we had problems then also because users were warned NOT to hit the [HOME] button on the radio -- that would take you to the "new" talkgroups.... That button is ok now but back then ZONE 31 was the operational zone and home takes you to ZONE 1.

Last edited:

rjbell

I am an AA Co. Sgt. We are in the process of getting our upgrade from the XTS3000 to the XTS5000. The XTS5000 has the digital freq's ready to go. They are programed under the old 11 and 12 aux group. We are at the moment using 71 as the temp. analogue (sp?) as we have been using, until we are instructed to switch to the digital, which I would guess will be sometime soon. (They don't tell us either.) Our method of switching to the AUX channel has not been trained as well as it could have been. We used to use a toggle switch on the radio to switch. Now we have to use the front of the radio to switch. Some of the officers have not gotten the message. If they switch using the toggle switch, they inadverntently switch to the new digital freq. That is why some of you have been hearing digital transmissions.

TinEar

Thanks for that clear, concise explanation rjbell. Now it makes sense why some are turning up on the digital channels and completely understandable why it would happen - and also explains the Zone 71 situation.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.