adding coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmed325

Premium Subscriber
i ran appx 70 ft of lmr 400,now i find i may be short 10 ft or so,should i just add lmr 400 with a barrel connector or will any coax do for that length? looking for suggestions.

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to find lmr 400 jumper cables in that length. You have used lmr 400 this far, why not finish it off?

LtDoc

It really shouldn't make a drastic difference by using an extension. There will be some differences, sure, but I sort of doubt if it would be worth buying a new feed line.
- 'Doc

mpddigital

Depending on your band you can use LMR-400 or 240. To join your cables do NOT use PL-259/SO-239. Us an impedance matched connector such as an N or TNC that is more waterproof and add additional weather proofing. Better connection and much less loss.

n5ims

Probably would be best to have the jumper at the radio end for several reasons. First, it's indoors (most likely) so weatherproofing won't be an issue. Second, since it's LMR-400 and quite stiff, a short jumper is probably best anyway to reduce the strain on the radio's antenna connection.

While it may be best to use a specialized connector for the joint (like a direct mating connector to what's already on the coax). Best case is your LMR-400 already has an male "N" connector and then you can order your jumper with the female "N", but if it's already got a PL-259 and your jumper does as well, just use a standard barrell connector and call it a day. If the extra .25 dB is that important, you need to run a new feed with the correct length and use something better than LMR-400 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.