SDS100/SDS200: Adding sites to an existing favorites list

cbeb12

I added the TACN P25 trunk network (Tennessee) to my favorites under a list called TACN. I also deleted a bunch of sites that are not near to me as I do not want to monitor them. However, when I go to try and add an additional site from the master database, there seems to be no way to just add that site. Sentinel only seems to give me the option to add the entire system again.

Is there any way around this? I'm new to the SDS-100 so I'm probably not doing it right. I did rename the system in favorites, could that be why this is happening?

Or should I be keeping the whole system in my favorites and using location/zip instead?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
@ProScan software lets you copy and paste just about anything. I believe Butel also lets you do the same.

You can import the whole system into a new fav list. Then drag and drop, or copy/paste the sites you want from the new fav into your existing system. Then when you have everything in your fav list, just delete the one you copied from, and write to the scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking with Sentinel, it is an "all or nothing" when it comes to adding sites. The logic may have been that with these new large statewide systems, not seeing a site in an existing FL, Sentinel may presume it was a newly added site.

If it was me, rather than deleting sites too far away, I'd either Set Location Control to On and let the scanner filter those too far away sites out of the scanning, or set the too far away sites to be Avoided. That way if you do some additional updates you won't have to mess with sites any more.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I added the TACN P25 trunk network (Tennessee) to my favorites under a list called TACN. I also deleted a bunch of sites that are not near to me as I do not want to monitor them. However, when I go to try and add an additional site from the master database, there seems to be no way to just add that site. Sentinel only seems to give me the option to add the entire system again.

Is there any way around this?

Rather than DELETING the sites, AVOID them and you won't get them back. They will always be there but will be ignored.

You can toggle that AVOID in Sentinel for all or multiple sites at once.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Is there any way around this? I'm new to the SDS-100 so I'm probably not doing it right. I did rename the system in favorites, could that be why this is happening?

Or should I be keeping the whole system in my favorites and using location/zip instead?
The first time you append a trunked system to a favorites list, you can carefully select only the departments of interest during the process. However, Sentinel will also append all of the systems sites. Whether you delete the unneeded sites, set them as Avoided, or use Location Control to limit the active sites to only those in range at a later date, is a personal decision. I prefer to delete them, but some users prefer to leave them in place, even though they are not actively being scanned, in case you wish to access them at a later date. There’s not really a ‘right’ or wrong way to do this, as it is simply a personal preference.

Once you have appended the system the initially, you can go back and append additional departments, but Sentinel will not allow you to select and depend additional sites. Sites are appended only on the first time the system is selected and appended.

You can append the system’s sites, later, to a different favorites list. However, if you have modified the name of the system, so that it no longer matches, exactly, the name of the system, Sentinel will append all of the sites. plus any additional selected departments, to a new copy of the system with the original name, as shown in the database. Then, you can copy and paste sites to your original system.

However , copying and pasting sites between systems in a Favorites list does not carry over the location details, so if you are using Location Control to designate which sites are to be scanned, those sites would be ignored unless you also manually add location data.
@ProScan software lets you copy and paste just about anything. I believe Butel also lets you do the same.

You can import the whole system into a new fav list. Then drag and drop, or copy/paste the sites you want from the new fav into your existing system. Then when you have everything in your fav list, just delete the one you copied from, and write to the scanner.
You can use ProScan to drag and drop sites between systems in ProScan’s Favorites List Editor even if you are not a Premium Subscriber. The drag and drop ensures that location data for each additional site is in place.So, appending the system again, to recapture all of the sites, allows the continued use of Location to govern the sites that are actively scanned. As Dave has noted, I also do not have the ARC software, but think that you should be able to edit a system in the same manner.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
The first time you append a trunked system to a favorites list, you can carefully select only the departments of interest during the process. However, Sentinel will also append all of the systems sites. Whether you delete the unneeded sites, set them as Avoided, or use Location Control to limit the active sites to only those in range at a later date, is a personal decision. I prefer to delete them, but some users prefer to leave them in place, even though they are not actively being scanned, in case you wish to access them at a later date. There’s not really a ‘right’ or wrong way to do this, as it is simply a personal preference.

Once you have appended the system the initially, you can go back and append additional departments, but Sentinel will not allow you to select and depend additional sites. Sites are appended only on the first time the system is selected and appended.

You can append the system’s sites, later, to a different favorites list. However, if you have modified the name of the system, so that it no longer matches, exactly, the name of the system, Sentinel will append all of the sites. plus any additional selected departments, to a new copy of the system with the original name, as shown in the database. Then, you can copy and paste sites to your original system.

However , copying and pasting sites between systems in a Favorites list does not carry over the location details, so if you are using Location Control to designate which sites are to be scanned, those sites would be ignored unless you also manually add location data.

You can use ProScan to drag and drop sites between systems in ProScan’s Favorites List Editor even if you are not a Premium Subscriber. The drag and drop ensures that location data for each additional site is in place.So, appending the system again, to recapture all of the sites, allows the continued use of Location to govern the sites that are actively scanned. As Dave has noted, I also do not have the ARC software, but think that you should be able to edit a system in the same manner.
Very well explained. Maybe someone will find this reply the next time this is asked.

cbeb12

This is a great explanation! Thank you