ADSB Exchange SOLD

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
In other news Elon Musk buys JETNET, film at 11.

Or, JETNET is just the front being used by the VC Silversmith who funded the venture and is working on behalf of an unknown person, agency or government with plans for the failure or destruction of ADSBx?

I get that "subscription" feeling coming.

Unless they continue to run as it was, unfiltered, they'd just be another FR24 or Flightaware. And, since JETNET uses the FAA data from the FAA they can't not block LADD aircraft.

I portend that the free and open model will end.

Let's hope out of the ashes a new version raises, already in the works and being discussed.

gary123

I have found the hobbyist community is happy to contribute so sites such as ADSB (was?). All the community asks for in return is fair access the results. That means no selective editing of what is shared, contributed or provided. Agencies who do not want certain movements have the ability to block movements by flying without modes like ADSB enabled. In short if the information is publicly available and contributed in that spirit it should be publicly available for free. If you want to start charging for it then pay the people for the feeds. Fair warning if ADSB goes the membership route expect the site to go down hill rapidly as contributors loose access, the investment in the site will become worthless.

One extra point. many of the people contributing are military enthusiasts. Censor that info and you will kill the site as quickly as turning off the server. As said above the military has options to limit what is seen.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
..Unless they continue to run as it was, unfiltered, they'd just be another FR24 or Flightaware. And, since JETNET uses the FAA data from the FAA they can't not block LADD aircraft.

While there are a myriad of users, I used ADS-B exclusively for the military function. While I have a subscription to Flightaware, I very rarely use it now.

thinbluebbq

Feed Provider
I have found the hobbyist community is happy to contribute so sites such as ADSB (was?). All the community asks for in return is fair access the results. That means no selective editing of what is shared, contributed or provided. Agencies who do not want certain movements have the ability to block movements by flying without modes like ADSB enabled. In short if the information is publicly available and contributed in that spirit it should be publicly available for free. If you want to start charging for it then pay the people for the feeds. Fair warning if ADSB goes the membership route expect the site to go down hill rapidly as contributors loose access, the investment in the site will become worthless.

One extra point. many of the people contributing are military enthusiasts. Censor that info and you will kill the site as quickly as turning off the server. As said above the military has options to limit what is seen.
That is my biggest fear. I feed a variety of sites but I preferred to monitor ADSB-X so I can monitor military aircraft. If that is lost then I will be sadly disappointed. Someone will likely fill the gap but it will take time and us milair folks will be at a loss.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
What is "a lot"? How did you come to "understand" that information and when did that disconnection occur? I ask as the ADSBx Feeder Coverage map looks about the same to me. Over the years some stations are there one day, gone the next and then back again.

I do agree that if the data becomes censored to feeders, in particular MLAT, there would probably be disconnections.
From what I understand, a lot of feeders have now disconnected from ADS-B Exchange.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Reports coming in from around the world that ADSB Exchange is down, not sending data to users. Sure hope this isn't the end of it.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Reports coming in from around the world that ADSB Exchange is down, not sending data to users. Sure hope this isn't the end of it.
Doubt it would happen that fast. I do see data on the map, but unsure about the APIs.

gary123

I logged in to ADSB a few minutes ago. and got a "Support our Advertisers" popup. I have little problem supporting the site expenses IF there are some clear commitments from the owners that this is solely for site maintenance, server expenses etc. I know what server costs are etc so I will not accept a general cash grab or ransom type demands like this "The site will be shut down if we do not get 1,000,000,000 by midnight".

If we are funding the site then the site must remain open to everyone and run as it has been in the past. I do not mind a drive to bring in new feeders as long as its not going to be a pile of popups every 5 minutes. In fact popups of any type are a big annoyance and should not be there. A simple "support" button in the menu would be fine.

I speculate that the DOS attack is from someone not happy with the new ownership.