ADSB Exchange SOLD

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hardware, hosting and bandwidth costs money. ADSBx had ads/subscription before it was sold. I would be amazed if airplanes.live could sustain an ad/subscription free service if it had the usage ADSBx has now.

Then again, maybe I am wrong.
What is the average bandwidth use each month for airplanes.live?
How many physical servers are in use now?

AirplanesLive

It's complex. Just asking things like "how many physical servers" is nonconstructive, same with bandwidth. People get caught up focused on "website hosting" like it's an HOA site and can't see forest through the trees.

Everyone needs to understand with background information.

Airplanes.Live would be fine with the current ADSBx usage, it would be better off because we could fund it with ads. Eyes = ad revenue. In fact, with 10,000 feeders, Airplanes.Live would completely dominate and we could easily "steal" most ADSBexchange customers. Instead of millions a year in cash going to a private equity firm - we could invest substantially back into community, fund hardware builds, and pay full time developers to improve the software and decoders. Imagine what could be done when greed is not the primary motivation!

ADSBexchange, prior to GHO (Greg and Ryan), was collapsing at about 1000 feeds. I ran it all for years. Day to day dev ops, data sales, the whole thing. Dan was working for a biotech firm and WeWork. The original site used VRS spread across hundreds of VMs. I converted the VMs to Linux and was able to stabilize it for about 18 months. Eventually VRS couldn't handle tracking more than 10,000 about planes - the code just wasn't up to (.NET and hobbyist).

In 2019 (maybe late 2018) I met Greg. His intellectual property became ADSBx. GHO made it scale. GHO made the infrastructure something I didn't have to worry about, we could grow feeders and the business side. I don't want to say what the agreement and plan was, because of the lawsuits - it wasn't selling out to a PE firm. GHO had a rock solid contract with ADSBexchange. As mentioned in the lawsuit, Dan knew this and tried to change it something like 20 places and get them re-sign it. See the lawsuit.

ADSBExchange was hosted by GHO, Greg and Ryan, for a few thousand a month. Dan was making, $1,000- $4,000 thousand dollars per day in ads. Per day! Commercial data sales took off, made close to $1M in cash in 2022. $1 million dollars - most of which Dan pocketed. The subscription was just to get more feeders, we found that most people will react better to having something taken from them, and then you give it back if they do something for it - aka feed or give money. The subscription thing was opposed by most of us but Dan saw dollar signs, it probably pulls in 100K a year - likely more now.

ADSBExchange grew faster and made more money in 2 years once off of VRS than anyone expected. GHO launched the platform in 2020 for us - Dan started selling process in September 2022. Dan turned into a total scumbag - as is detailed in the civil lawsuit.
I couldn't get Dan to invest in paying for a mobile app, or really anything.

We did SDR hardware because FlightAware, after the Raytheon buyout, raised prices and made SDR very hard to get. Because in part, they probably noticed we were using them in bulk.

What costs money is the data storage and the man hours. The redundancy and SLA support. The effort. The social media. The commercial support. The data support. Everything you don't see that goes into an operations. The dev ops of the infra.

There are expenses, but those are mostly talent, hardware, mobile developers, etc. ADSBexchange didn't have most of those expenses, so there are no excuses for Dan Streufert.

Airplanes.Live can be the positive force that we all wanted ADSBx to be. I'm not kidding when I say we want Aiplanes.Live to be sustainable and donate six figures+ a year to radio clubs and STEM programs. Long term goal would be a non-profit or some form of non-profit type organization. Very long term, we'd like to build enough capital for an endowment then turn the organization over to a board of directors with an accountable mission they have to follow.

The above items and lack of one person controlling everything is why those site owners that showed up, even the one we initially promoted, attacked us so hard in the last 12 months. The crypto scams, et all. They all see the $$$$. They see that can scrape some $ from the community with pretty words while retaining sole ownership to benefit themselves.

It seems people would prefer being abused and taken advantage of while the sites they feed laugh all the way to bank while giving them fake "enterprise" accounts or a goofy dashboard. I don't understand the mentality.

Add a feed, help us grow, join us and the team that built the things in doing it right.

https://airplanes.live/get-started/

We don't have dreams of just a hobby site. We have dreams of something much more with a hobby site community feel.

Yes, there are expenses coming, we need hardware for a data center colo, we need petabytes of storage, we need RAM and CPU dedicated. Those expense are not the things we need to worry about as much as people do. Coverage = success. Providing an alternative before the private equity firm full guts the carcass or sells it to someone who shuts it down - that is the focus.

Once we're a non-profit - everyone will see our books, expenses, payroll, etc.

PS: forgive the typos
Edit: How do we get people to understand above? Private equity is NOT your friend. Private equity is a cancer.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It seems people would prefer being abused and taken advantage of while the sites they feed laugh all the way to bank while giving them fake "enterprise" accounts or a goofy dashboard. I don't understand the mentality.
You are upset and lashing out at feeders accusing them to preferring abuse, or whatever perks make them happy. Come on now, stop that. Stay positive in your words and welcoming of current feeders of ADSBx. Unless you immediately and continually begin to hand out hardware, coax and antennas to feed your site, stop wondering why people are not feeding your site as well as question their mentality.

It's complex. Just asking things like "how many physical servers" is nonconstructive, same with bandwidth. People get caught up focused on "website hosting" like it's an HOA site and can't see forest through the trees.
Many things are complex; my point wasn't. The reason for my post was that services require money. Whatever will happen with Dan and ADSBx will happen. Stop wailing about other sites/people as well, including their motivations. Seriously, perhaps find another forum than RR if you want to continue that diatribe. That's just baiting for drama and it is not wanted here. I do like your other posts showing how tracking can locate unique aircraft and how it can be a fun hobby. Keep up on that bit, as well as posting about improvements with airplanes.live as time goes by. There's plenty of room here for that.

"Providing an alternative...that is the focus" - Yes! Redundancy is beautiful. Relying on one, or even two sites is possibly the inability to see the forest for the trees. I equally feed three sites and I am happy to feed more. That is the bigger picture. ADSBx is simply a detail, a tool I use to enjoy one of my hobbies. Airplanes.live is now also a tool I use. I have room for more in my repertoire of sources.

Do you know what I like about airplanes.live? The ease of incorporating the configuration to add a feed, while playing nice with others. That indeed makes it easy for me to recommend airplanes.live to other feeders in my area and beyond. No extra hardware, just a couple of keyboard clicks et voilà...redundancy.

AirplanesLive

I'm not upset or lashing out. Disappointed is a better word. Confused as to why there is what seems like anger directed at us for pointing out the industry wide game and refusing to play along it. This entire hobby is dominated by FlightAware (Raytheon), FlightRadar24(private individual), and regrettably now ADSBExchange (Silversmith Capital Partners / JETNET). There a few single owner smaller sites, one for celebrity stalking, and a few masquerading as "community" that are 100% commercially motivated. I understand there are those who want a variety. Before we came along there was only FA and FR24, we built all these things that have become ingrained in the hobby, but those things didn't exist 5 years ago.

FlightAware hired the developer of the dump1090 fork to shut down development of the opensource code, including the public MLAT server. Don't think FlightAware didn't try the same thing with some of our team prior to the Raytheon buyout.

As related to "perks", We never wanted to put artificial locks on things just to give them back for $2 a month from a user.

The above post is just the truth of it. I'm not here to sugar coat things, but to explain as they are in reality. The community WE ALL helped build has a choice, a faceless private equity firm called Silversmith Capital Partners who's entire goal is to extract profit and sell it to the greater fool or support the guys that built the things and demand something better for all of us.

There is no diatribe. There is no baiting drama. Just truth. That's the gist of what is required. Servers are relatively inexpensive, as is bandwidth, compare to the cycles of talented coders and dev ops. I could say that it requires 1,000 servers if the code that is run is terribly inefficient because no brain time is spent on refining and improving it.

Unless you immediately and continually begin to hand out hardware, coax and antennas to feed your site, stop wondering why people are not feeding your site as well as question their mentality.

Support Airplanes.Live and that is EXACTLY WHAT WE AS A HOBBY WILL BE ABLE TO DO AND MORE!

As a point of fact, the team used our personal assets to fund the hardware we offer at: Airplanes.Live Store I'll happily donate hardware to any ham radio club or organization that has space and is willing to host, send me an email. It would be much more helpful if people used their current hardware, especially from an economic benefit for growing Airplanes.Live fast without having to deploy excessive amounts of capital - since that capital could be used in other areas.

I'm questioning the reality of what the industry around flight tracking as gotten users to accept gladly and to earn that praise. We agree, people can do whatever for whatever - that choice is up to them. That doesn't mean we shouldn't point out the problems with the current situation and how it can be changed for the betterment of the hobby.

I guess, at least me personally, is confused as to the why not support if they are already supporting FA or FR24 or whoever, the feed is there, the hardware is a sunk cost at that point, there is no downside other than 5 minutes of time. There is a downside to too many feeder clients, but those are mainly technical limitations of the hardware and Internet connectivity. I wouldn't put 10 clients on a Pi Zero. A Pi 4 or something more powerful, absolutely, but only if there is enough Internet upload to not create TCP queues.

To that end, thanks for the feed! I'm glad you enjoy our work and it brings you happiness.

Last edited:

royldean

Wondering if we can start a generic Airplanes.Live thread somewhere? I tried using the discord server but it's just one more place to look for answers and quite frankly, I don't like it.

In particular, I've switched on the 978 feed and am getting ZERO hits.... wondering if it's just an issue with my antenna/feedline/SDR or if the users are really that much fewer....

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Wondering if we can start a generic Airplanes.Live thread somewhere? I tried using the discord server but it's just one more place to look for answers and quite frankly, I don't like it.

In particular, I've switched on the 978 feed and am getting ZERO hits.... wondering if it's just an issue with my antenna/feedline/SDR or if the users are really that much fewer....

Unless you are at a big airport, the users are simply that much fewer. Usually they are light aircraft. And if they aren't flying near you, you usually won't pick them up. Not ruling out issue with antenna/feedline/sdr, but it was typical for me to see less than 5 planes on UAT some days from my rural location, even with a great view of the horizon and a dedicated 978 antenna and preamp.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

What antenna are you using? But as @mtindor said in many areas it is seldomly if ever picked up.

AirplanesLive

Being new here, where would be the best place for it?

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
What antenna are you using? But as @mtindor said in many areas it is seldomly if ever picked up.

The Antenna makes a big difference with 978 UAT. I would only get an occasional hit when I had it hooked up to my discone. When I moved it to a Radar Box 978 antenna, my hits skyrocketed.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator