• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Advice For Programming VX-2200

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

I am planning on purchasing a new radio in the next few months and have decided that the VX-2200 seems to be the best option for me. The main thing I am looking for is more or less your opinions on how difficult it is to program. I have programmed countless scanners for other people but they way I understand it radios are much more complicated. It would be a lot cheaper for me to program the radio myself rather than have the local shop to do it, since they charge $1 per channel and I will probably have to reprogram it from time to time. Any good advice will help me make my decision. Thanks.

stevelton

I am an Icom dealer, so I am really used to programming Icom radios. I was asked to get the programming cables and software for a few vertex radios for Our local EMA. I took me a few times of reading the help menu, but after about 3 hours, I had figured most of the options out. I programmed these with windows XP and a real vertex cable, not a clone.
They are nice radios. One of the things I really like about the vx2200. You can program the buttons for many different things, for a long hold down, or a momentary press. But the one thing it lacks, there is no way to re-write the priority channel. This is useful if certain days you are on call for fire, and then other times on call for EMT.
Steven

auxscan

better than brooklyn

you got it good, my local dealer charges $40 a zone, so 16 channels for $40 BUCKS. So two $2.50 for each channel.

However the department dealer charges $40 per a radio. So if you have a 200 ch radio or 512 ch radio programming all the frequencies would be $40. So two cents per a channel lol.

Maverick22

Steven, I have a vx2200 ltr model. There is an option to assign a button as the home channel set. The way i understand it, the home channel is the priority channel. I dont have a conventional model and it may (and probably is since i havent seen one) be different.

Maverick22

You will also have to enable home channel scan. If you cant find it, let me know and i'll look it up.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
When programming a narrowband channel in, is it as easy as selecting narrow on the channel edit screen? I have done this but the voice is lower than other radio's when it is transmitting thru our narrowband channels on the repeater. Someone told me that I need to change something else to increase the loudness but I have no clue what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.