Advice needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2117

Soooo, I figure fairly soon I'm gonna be in the neighborhood for a new digital scanner for the Calgary and area. I'm looking at either a PSR-500 or a BCD396T, I know there's a lot of threads on this subject but I'm looking for an opinion as well as pros and cons from a Calgarian/Albertan point of view. I understand that there are people in Calgary who own both such devices so any help is greatly appreciated. I currently own a BC246T and I've had a chance to play with the 396. I was impressed with the 396 and found I could work it right away going from one Uniden scanner to another so I don't know what type of learning curve there is going from Uniden to GRE.

SCPD

QRT
PSR-500!

Why: Because it is a newer radio, thus there is major hype and for good reason. The brass tax is that there are constant review of the DPS and CPU firmware which means any little problems people run into are not being over looked. Hell even little things like seeing radio id's has been added over the last 6 months. All because people wanted them, and GRE listened.

I own one (500) and I have heard both the 396 and the gre 500 side by side, the audio quality is awesome on the 500. Less tinny.

If we have a meet you should come and use them side by side to make your decision.

Bravo1

I have a 996, 246, PRO-2050 and a PRO-2052 and can say that my 996 and 246 are by far the best radios I have had.

The 996 picks up CPS, EMS and Fire very well and the audio is crisp and clear.

As for the 500, I can't speak for that - only have experience with the above mentioned radio's.

Cheers!

Bravo1

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I can't speak for the GRE radios either, but with the new firmware, the 396 and 996 become quite formidable on the Calgary system. With a magmount car antenna, the 996 rivals my pro radio on the system for coverage/signal strength.

HDMechanic

I have the 996 and PSR500. I like the sound better on the 500 then the 996. I also like the V scanner option on the 500 specially if you like to travel. I just did a trip to Van a couple of weeks ago and used the V scan option and found it very handy. I also like the fact the it shows radio IDs. This kicks but on the Uniden. But who knows if Uniden eill follow suit only time will tell. Now the only down side is my PSR died on me on the weekend. Wont turn on. Will see how the warrenty is for here in Canada. The where very fast at emailing me back. Lets hope every thing else goes soon. And yes im am crying as I do miss my PSR500. Whaaaa

SCPD

QRT
Don't count on Uniden .. i asked for this (showing of the radio id) from them and Mr Opitz didn't even know what i was talking about. Just goes to show you how well they reallly know what it is all about. Anyone who has used Trunker, Etrunker or Unitrunker knows that this is just as important as the talkgroup info to some of us.

I myself, I am probably getting a 500 ... and though I didnt like the Pro 93 I once had, I will give it a try. I am reading that lots of people are really liking the 500.

mark2117

I'm leaning towards the the 396 because I know the format and it works a lot like my 246t, the learning curve is what I'm concerned about on the 500. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about the 500 though unlike the 396 I've never had the 500 in my hands.

P.S. What's "V Scan" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.