Advice on antennas for home-built SDR "rig" (P25 Phase I/800Mhz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bondsquad

My apologies if there are already threads out there discussing this that I'm not finding.

I have assembled a makeshift trunking scanner to listen to talkgroups on an 800Mhz P25 Phase I system. It consists of a PC, two RTL-SDR USB antenna/receiver dongles (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/), and a combo of Unitrunker and DSD+ software. Quite improbably, I actually got it to work.

The problem is that--assuming I even understand the tech--the standard antennas that come with the dongles don't appear to be well suited to 800Mhz. When I experiment a little with physical placement and extension, I can usually get clearer reception, as opposed to more warbly signals. (I understand that it could be a function of the efficacy of the digital decoding software, but the evidence seems to suggest the antenna situation may be the primary problem. I also don't have or know of any other reasonable options as a substitute for DSD+ that I could use to troubleshoot, so I'm starting with the antennas...) One note is that they have male SMA connectors, but it would appear I could use connectors to bridge them to a different style if necessary?

So, I'm trying to figure out a good substitute for the out-of-the-box antennas, perhaps something using mobile mounts that would sit on my desk or windowsill?

Contrary to what it might seem, I'm truly a novice with these issues. I've just been feeling my way around it for this specific application, so please don't assume I'm familiar with the usual lingo. That said, my questions are:

1) Does the mobile mount sitting on a desk idea even make any sense? If not, what would you suggest assuming that I can't mount some other kind of external antenna on my home? Would basic (800 Mhz suitable) handheld mobile antennas do me any good if they're just screwed onto these dongles on the side of my laptop, sitting inside my house?

2) Are there any popular/well-known suitable, inexpensive 800Mhz antennas about which I should be aware?

3) Might anyone otherwise suggest antenna styles, brands, vendors to which I should turn?

4) Are there any particular online resources you'd suggest for me to better understand these issues?

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.