!!air Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt25

Now that im geting my new scanner bc350c i can hear air trafic...what military air can i hear???I no that i can pick up washington center and clevland center but i want military air!!!!!!!!!!!!!help me plz

thanks for the help in advance!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That model doesn't cover the 225-380 Mhz band, so that's out. The wiki shows that it covers 108-174 continuous, so it might be possible to hear any ANG units in the 138-144 mhz band if it receives that band in the AM mode (many scanners in this price range default it to FM, and it cannot be changed).

Probably the only thing you may hear - assuming you have a good antenna - would be the Giant Killer (GK) 118.125 or 135.725 (which isn't used that often...) freqs, along with any other GK freqs in the 118-136 mhz area. We have several GK freqs in our Wiki, but unfortunately that little scanner may not be able to hear them.

Our Wiki has a complete list of current - and not so current - models, antennas and much more. And you really don't need to spend an arm and a leg - I've seen several BC780 s and PRO2006s in recent weeks which will do the job. Get an antenna and good coax up nice and high, and you should be good to go.

The Milcom list on QTH.net is the premier place to find active freqs; I'd also consider grabbing Grove's directory (altho it's a little dated at the moment - in part due to a lot of shifting of aircraft and other resources due to the Base Reallocation act...) . I would also get the latest IFR documents - as discussed recently in the Military Monitoring Forum. The Wiki has the link for the page to subscribe to Milcom, and a link to Grove's web pae where his directory is listed. Just click on 'Wiki' in the blue toolbar at the top of the page and look for the VHF/UHF Military Monitoring link. 73s Mike

ffemt25

see one of my friends is in the air force and they use my road to train on like 3 time a mounth you'll hear f16 fly so low its not funny!.!.!.!they droop like sencing devices that decenigrate in like 5 mins or so just so that they can tell if they hit our feald ..... see were at the end of my road a when they get clear my house they pull and imeadiate up or theyre going to hit the mountian...so what ur saying is that i cant hear those as they fly over???

mancow

Database Admin
GK is a Norad callsign

ANG is Air National Guard

Go get yourself a PRO97. With the signal stalking feature and the planes that close you will get everything almost instantly with no effort at all.

pathalogical

danstrainz said:
see one of my friends is in the air force and they use my road to train on like 3 time a mounth you'll hear f16 fly so low its not funny!.!.!.!they droop like sencing devices that decenigrate in like 5 mins or so just so that they can tell if they hit our feald ..... see were at the end of my road a when they get clear my house they pull and imeadiate up or theyre going to hit the mountian...so what ur saying is that i cant hear those as they fly over???
If they fly that low, I'd be out there with my camcorder, never mind the scanner !!!

kc4jgc

danstrainz said:
and one more question what is (GK) and the ANG ?

He told you what is was.

ka3jjz said:
Giant Killer (GK)

It's the call of Fleet Area Control and Surveillance Facility Virginia Capes (FACSFAC VACAPES), located at NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach.

I'll throw you a bone here.... ANG = Air National Guard.

danzstrainz said:
well i dont no when there going to go over that why i need the freq.!!!!!

I see you're relatively new to the RR forums so please allow me to give you some advice: Don't make useless posts or ask for info that's already in the database for anyone to peruse. One person on the NC forum has been banned because of constant begging for info that was available if only he could do his own research.

Last edited:

kc4jgc

danstrainz said:
well i looked and couldnt make head or tales of it so...........thx

That's OK as long as you make the effort. The guy on the NC forum was looking to be hand-fed info. As long as you make the effort and you aren't clear on something by all means this is the best place to ask. Be sure you check the wiki link Mike referred to in his last post above.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In fact, let's open this discussion up a little - we have very little hard info on mil activity in WV in the Wiki - if anyone wants to step up to the plate to assemble some, I would be more than willing to offer a hand in how to set up the page and get it together. The wiki language is a little quirky, but not hard to learn.

For example, topics might include WV ANG (assuming there is such a thing), ARTCC coverage, mil flights that are in transit to other operating areas (often, pilots will use the 138-144 mhz band for just this reason - and it's sometimes a good way to catch the IDs of the flights - we've noted it in the Maryland mil threads on numerous occasions), and more.

73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.