Airplanes.Live Thread

royldean

So I had suggested this thread in another forum, and this specific sub-forum was recomended. My question was "why so few 978 hits".

I ended up connecting my dedicated 1090 antenna and started to see some hits, so it appears that it is indeed an issue of not as many users (as some had suggested). I'll make a dedicated 978 ground plane antenna and try it again this weekend.

One suggestion I'd like to see is an online dashboard for receiving stations. I'm curious how well (or bad) my station is doing relative to others....

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
One suggestion I'd like to see is an online dashboard for receiving stations. I'm curious how well (or bad) my station is doing relative to others....
Many variables in systems as well as geographic location, RFI, terrain and nearby foliage plus buildings make comparisons unequal, especially the actual number of aircraft in one area vs. another. Still, a simple way to see comparative coverages is to use their…coverage map.

Most nearby feeders do not have my coverage range, but I appreciate their feeds as it helps with MLAT.

Last edited:

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
i just ran the script to add airplanes.live to our feeder. Went very smooth. If we were to move locations, what is the process to update the feeder for correct lat/long/el?

mpflueger

Pilot and aircraft owner here. There are relatively fewer planes using 978 due to what it gets you. 978 is only valid below 18,000 feet (where the flight levels begin) and are not valid internationally. ADS-B out on 978 is often less expensive, though. But typically this makes it only popular with the lower and slower crowd.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
i just ran the script to add airplanes.live to our feeder. Went very smooth. If we were to move locations, what is the process to update the feeder for correct lat/long/el?
SSH into your Pi then CD into /boot. Once in that directory edit the adsb-config.txt file. You should adjust three items in there:
1. Latitude
2. Longitude
3. Altitude (This altitude setting is your new elevation ASL, plus the height of your antenna above ground)
3. Then run: sudo reboot -r ( That command will reboot your Pi and you'll be up and running )

Alternatively, grab the latest image from ADSBx and put it onto your MicroSD card. Put in your new locations settings, etc. Once confirmed working, just run the airplanes.live script.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
the only ADSB file in the /boot directory is adsbx-uuid

I dont see any txt files there.

I should also mention I also stream FR24 and others, i wonder if that image put the file somewhere else.

AirplanesLive

Yes script will work just like that. If you are ssh comfortable, you and simply edit the config file for the airplanes.live client.

Code:
/etc/default/airplanes

Airplanes.Live also has an image ( Airplanes.Live Image Guide ) also comes setup with FA and FR24 as optionally configurable. It's superior to the ADSBx image at this time, with both 32 bit & 64 bit builds coming soon.

We don't recommend using the ADSBx image to start, we built it before the sale, it hasn't been actively updated since, and support could inevitably disappear in the near future due to the various circumstances surrounding ADSBx.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I started with a blank PI back a couple of years ago then downloaded FA. I have slowly added FR24, ADSBx and RadarBox. and now Airplanes.Live I am not sure if i could recreate this PI from scratch lol.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@Echo4Thirty - Hmm...I'm using a build that is several years old. A newer version of the ADSBx build may put the config file elsewhere...or maybe I moved things on my own a few years back. I figure that adsb-config.txt file name should be the same though, so search for that and edit using your favorite *Nix editor.

UPDATE:
I just looked in my /etc/default directory and I see a symlink for adsbexchange that goes to /boot/adsb-config.txt so that is probably not my doing.

The airplanes.live config is in: /etc/default and it is simply names airplanes

Last edited:

AirplanesLive

So I had suggested this thread in another forum, and this specific sub-forum was recomended. My question was "why so few 978 hits".

I ended up connecting my dedicated 1090 antenna and started to see some hits, so it appears that it is indeed an issue of not as many users (as some had suggested). I'll make a dedicated 978 ground plane antenna and try it again this weekend.

TLDR; We understand the desire for these things. We've always tried to avoid gimmicks. Dev time is a concern. Cost is a big concern in the short term.

Our thoughts on "leader boards" being in involved in aircraft tracking for almost a decade:

Made up "leader" statistics dashboards are on the list but not a priority at this time. There's no practical use for or way of weighing other feeds versus an individual feed. It's impractical to weigh a feed on a tower versus someone in an attic or a window that just enjoys contributing to Airplanes.Live.

message rate?
range?
number of aircraft?

Location matters!

Everyone's RF and terrain situation is different along with variations in hardware. Rankings are to simply distract feeders from what is going on in the industry. Make sense?

Can we say having a feed in Barstow is worse than a feed in LAX because the message rate will be lower? The amount of aircraft is lower? Maybe the feed is not on a tower. Is that a sensible conclusion?

Why bother to feed in Barstow, it's never going to high ranked, it's never going to have dongle waving numbers high on a leader board. Odd behavior for a company to essentially shame "low performing feeds", especially when we as a community would like to have complete coverage to see airplanes.

This is something I've never understood as a RF nerd, FlightAware really broke this hobby with the goofy leader boards and "flightcrews".

It worked out for Raytheon (FlightAware )because people compete and dump endless amounts of money for incremental gains with diminishing returns for feeders. So maybe there is something to smoke and mirrors?

Also, I'll add that 90% will feed FlightAware, why not just look there? We're not competing with FlightAware. They charge $25K a month or more for a data feed.

Four guys without $100M in revenue could use all our time to make up fake leader boards or we could dedicate our limited time to creating SDR or gear to expand our hobby. Everything has a cost, even the servers to host fake leader boards and deal with the complaints about why feeder X is ranked over feeder Y, when feeder X sent 2 more messages that month and feeder Y has 0.1 miles less range.

Ideally, one needs to have local area stats, say 5 or 15 miles at most. It's complex. Stats are also not furthering and end up a massive black hole for dev time that generates constant complaints about implementation.

The team at Airplanes.Live, like most people, want to track planes, not look at graphs that have nothing to really say. Plus, the feeder images have stats dashboards, share some screenshots in our Discord or anywhere really!

One last note: the MLAT sync map is a decent performance metric, the more feeds you sync with that better your coverage invariably is, because it requires overlapping coverage with other feeds. Now that catch is someone in LAX (dense metro areas) will rank higher on syncs than someone in a very rural area in Kansas globally. But for local area ranking, MLAT overlap. Good stuff.

Last edited:

AirplanesLive

I started with a blank PI back a couple of years ago then downloaded FA. I have slowly added FR24, ADSBx and RadarBox. and now Airplanes.Live I am not sure if i could recreate this PI from scratch lol.
When the SD card wears out, that would be a good time to use the Airplanes.Live image! Who knows maybe there will be something fancy in the future!

I'm a big proponent of, if it's working, let it keep working. Typically with normal use, a feeder will get 5 years out of a card, depending on the size and the frequency of writes being done to it.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
I image the card about once a month, already had one fail and then was able to just reimage and move on. I agree though, if it aint broke...

AirplanesLive

I image the card about once a month, already had one fail and then was able to just reimage and move on. I agree though, if it aint broke...
Once a month?! I need to get you on the Airplanes.Live image, it's a minimal disk write that can just be left alone. You can view the map/stats/etc - should work for years without issue.

I can even send you an industrial SD.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
With a little hand holding and directions from @AirplanesLive I found the install to be smooth and easy, and I know nothing about Linux

AirplanesLive

Its not that the ADSB stuff gets updated, but the rest of the OS.

You mean this?

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

This gets the latest database and then upgrades the software to the latest version on that database, guaranteeing that you are completely up-to-date.