Airplanes.Live Thread

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@Echo4Thirty - On the Pi I use for my feeds, I have never ran an update. I have never re-imaged the card. It runs 24/7, except for the cron tab weekly reboot to deal with the memory issue. It has been like that for probably four years. I use other Pi devices to handle other things and leave that one alone to handle ADS-B stuff.

royldean

Wow, I make a suggestion and in return I get a rant about how leaderboards are "fake" and not worth anybody's time.

Suggestion to Airplanes.Live: Take suggestions seriously. Maybe YOU don't have a use for leaderboards, but other people do. I've been in the RF data capture world for a while (I had a very well performing SatNogs station for years prior to them signing a covert deal to cooperate with the US govt, at which point I bailed). What SatNogs did right was they allowed each station to describe their setup, and that allowed for a fantastic "apples to apples" comparison when looking at the leaderboards. Obviously a station with a Az-EL circular polarized tracking antenna located on top of a mountain was going to out-perform somebody's attic mounted discone.... The situation is the same for adsb.

I renew my request: I would like a leaderboard.

AirplanesLive

Wow, I make a suggestion and in return I get a rant about how leaderboards are "fake" and not worth anybody's time.

Suggestion to Airplanes.Live: Take suggestions seriously. Maybe YOU don't have a use for leaderboards, but other people do. I've been in the RF data capture world for a while (I had a very well performing SatNogs station for years prior to them signing a covert deal to cooperate with the US govt, at which point I bailed). What SatNogs did right was they allowed each station to describe their setup, and that allowed for a fantastic "apples to apples" comparison when looking at the leaderboards. Obviously a station with a Az-EL circular polarized tracking antenna located on top of a mountain was going to out-perform somebody's attic mounted discone.... The situation is the same for adsb.

I renew my request: I would like a leaderboard.

It wasn't a rant. It was an explanation of our priorities, our time, and the limited hours we have to spend on "things". We'd rather makes things that are useful and prioritize making the data the best it can be. Thus spending time making pointless circle jerk dashboards that require more of our time time to admin and moderate are not a priority. 99% feeds FlightAware anyway. Play their dashboard games. To each their own.

Send Airplanes.Live data so we can provide data to data projects, STEM projects, SAR, and everyone that can't pay extortion prices for data to FlightAware.

Share your "statistics" in Discord. Share your setups in Discord. Airplanes.Live Discord

Screenshot_2024-04-08_23-27-17.png

I would like to not have my work stolen and sold to a PE firm for $20M by a guy I knew for years. I would like my friends to not have to spend a year or more in court to protect their intellectual property.

https://www.lacourt.org/casesummary/ui/index.aspx?casetype=civil

Case Number: 23CHCV02662