ALA 1530 loop is deaf

kc8iqz

Premium Subscriber
I suspect it is the amplifier. Has anyone opened up the box and poked around inside? Any tips or drawings available? Thanks

Gary KC8IQZ
Hedgesville, WV

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I suspect it is the amplifier. Has anyone opened up the box and poked around inside? Any tips or drawings available? Thanks

Gary KC8IQZ
Hedgesville, WV
Is it possible to run a new length of coax to it first to make sure it's not the coax you are using?

--
Mike

Ubbe

Just google it and you will find the schematics, it's out there, I've seen it. Some guy had the same problem and it turned out to be the BNC connector that didn't hold up to the enviroment. Did you use proper vulcanisation, if you had the loop outdoors? Have you checked that the power supply gives any voltage out to the coax?

/Ubbe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Remember Wellbrook is in the UK; there will be a time lag for replies. Hopefully it's as simple as the BNC connector....Mike

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I suspect it is the amplifier. Has anyone opened up the box and poked around inside? Any tips or drawings available?
Gary it's possible the linear PSU failed. This is fairly common if you leave it plugged in 24/7. I've had a couple fail on me over the many years since I've owned one.

FWIW, I've heard of the internal amps failing but they're sealed with epoxy so don't bother trying to open it up. It could be the connector but I doubt it. I had rain water collect inside my loop and that caused clipping issues. After taking it down and letting it dry out it (and then sealing the connections) -- it was perfectly fine thereafter.

Wellbrook went to their new amp design so they might make you a deal on their newest loop.