ALA 1530 loop is deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8iqz

I suspect it is the amplifier. Has anyone opened up the box and poked around inside? Any tips or drawings available? Thanks

Gary KC8IQZ
Hedgesville, WV

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I suspect it is the amplifier. Has anyone opened up the box and poked around inside? Any tips or drawings available? Thanks

Gary KC8IQZ
Hedgesville, WV
Is it possible to run a new length of coax to it first to make sure it's not the coax you are using?

--
Mike

Ubbe

Just google it and you will find the schematics, it's out there, I've seen it. Some guy had the same problem and it turned out to be the BNC connector that didn't hold up to the enviroment. Did you use proper vulcanisation, if you had the loop outdoors? Have you checked that the power supply gives any voltage out to the coax?

/Ubbe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Remember Wellbrook is in the UK; there will be a time lag for replies. Hopefully it's as simple as the BNC connector....Mike

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I suspect it is the amplifier. Has anyone opened up the box and poked around inside? Any tips or drawings available?

Gary it's possible the linear PSU failed. This is fairly common if you leave it plugged in 24/7. I've had a couple fail on me over the many years since I've owned one.

FWIW, I've heard of the internal amps failing but they're sealed with epoxy so don't bother trying to open it up. It could be the connector but I doubt it. I had rain water collect inside my loop and that caused clipping issues. After taking it down and letting it dry out it (and then sealing the connections) -- it was perfectly fine thereafter.

Wellbrook went to their new amp design so they might make you a deal on their newest loop.

kc8iqz

Gary it's possible the linear PSU failed. This is fairly common if you leave it plugged in 24/7. I've had a couple fail on me over the many years since I've owned one.

FWIW, I've heard of the internal amps failing but they're sealed with epoxy so don't bother trying to open it up. It could be the connector but I doubt it. I had rain water collect inside my loop and that caused clipping issues. After taking it down and letting it dry out it (and then sealing the connections) -- it was perfectly fine thereafter.

Wellbrook went to their new amp design so they might make you a deal on their newest loop.
Well, their price for a new amp is $245 plus $45 shipping to the US. I think I will find another option. Thanks for the help

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Well, their price for a new amp is $245 plus $45 shipping to the US. I think I will find another option. Thanks for the help
You might want to contact Everett Sharp N4CY (everettsharp@aol.com) to see what he might have available. I have one of his Modified M0AYF amps that I've yet to play with but the price was right. The nice thing about the Wellbrook is that it runs off of 12v.

--
Mike

ridgescan

Gary KC8IQZ
Hedgesville, WV
Over the years I encountered a few different causes of my Wellbrook loop going deaf. Even after providing coax pull relief at the loop amp, that BNC male would find a way to become disengaged from the female. Another time, it worked loose simply because I wrapped the weatherproofing tape job counterclockwise and the stress of the tape literally "unscrewed" that male from the female (always do your wrap clockwise!)
A third time, the center conductor somehow made like a scared turtle's head and retracted back from the female probably from windy conditions beating at the feedline.
So I now run this at the amp and never again had trouble.

1609467861231.png

Ubbe

A third time, the center conductor somehow made like a scared turtle's head and retracted back from the female probably from windy conditions beating at the feedline.
Sometimes, if your are not paying attention, you will pull out the center conductor with its isolation when you strip it. Always try to push the center lead as much as possible back into the coax before cutting it to proper lenght. Using those $5 coax strippers with several razor blades in it will solve that problem instead of using a wire cutter to strip isolation.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.