Alberta's Distracted Driver amendment

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

maplebear, the link wasn't on the Government Web site this afternoon shortly after the news came out. Very disturbing for scanner/cb/amateur/FRS/GMRS users in Alberta.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My gut feeling is it would be covered under the "and other as directed by the minister" clause usually present in these acts.

That which concerns me more is that I don't think it is specific enough and needs some more thinking through. When you're sitting for 30 seconds to 4 minutes at a red traffic light, if you decide to check the traffic alerts on your GPS or initiate a call (that you'll continue in hands-free mode) on your phone, according to the bill as it's laid out, you'll be breaking the law. I don't think that's reasonable and I'll be sending off letters to the sponsoring MLA and my own MLA once I get my head around the wording to use.

All that having been said, I doubt there's going to be a giant provincewide crackdown. It will be like the spot checks for seatbelt use - get seen and get ticketed. Or if someone is incensed enough about a distracted driver to call it in, and police happen to be able to witness the "action causing complaint".

RBerezowski

All that having been said, I doubt there's going to be a giant provincewide crackdown. It will be like the spot checks for seatbelt use - get seen and get ticketed. Or if someone is incensed enough about a distracted driver to call it in, and police happen to be able to witness the "action causing complaint".

The police in Alberta might follow what the Saskatoon Police were doing. SPD were using unmarked high SUV units, and unmarked high utility repair style trucks to look down into the laps of drivers. If the officer in the SUV or utility truck saw a cell phone on a driver's lap, out comes the $280 ticket.

Rob
Regina, Saskatchewan

SCPD

QRT
My gut feeling is it would be covered under the "and other as directed by the minister" clause usually present in these acts.

Frequently on 34 ave. approximately 86 street Edmonton, Alberta Sheriffs during the day hold a check-stop. Each vehicle is required to stop then inspected for a front dash video display unit.

Twice I was asked to pull a side while Sheriff’s determined if my Uniden RH-6 qualifies and subject to a fine. Both times I was let go with out a ticket but was warned “When the new Alberta Distracted Driver act is amended this fall” I will be ticketed” I replied when that day comes, I will see them in court.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
In the Edmonton Sun(i think) today, it made mention that 'cb radios' will be exempt from the law if used for a "commercial" nature. Personally i think that it will end up like most traffic laws in this province... not enforced... except for '24hour blitz'... i dont understand... if the police 2000+ speeding tickets in a 24hour period why not just do it everyday untill people understand that traffic laws are laws, not guidelines or suggestions.

SCPD

QRT
In the Edmonton Sun(i think) today, it made mention that 'cb radios' will be exempt from the law if used for a "commercial" nature. Personally i think that it will end up like most traffic laws in this province... not enforced... except for '24hour blitz'... i dont understand... if the police 2000+ speeding tickets in a 24hour period why not just do it everyday untill people understand that traffic laws are laws, not guidelines or suggestions.
From what I have read, commerical vehicals are exempt. Taxi, couriers, security, transportation...........

DX-300

Today on global during the coverage about distracted driving I noticed right next to the reporters hand was either a bearcat 250D or a 296D mounted on the dash :D

SCPD

QRT
I know that the Amateur club here in Edmonton is (has already) talked about this Bill and its impact on Amateur Radio. As you know that amateur radio use is essential in many ways. So ... I think that we will see something for amateurs before this bill becomes law.

SCPD

QRT
I know that the Amateur club here in Edmonton is (has already) talked about this Bill and its impact on Amateur Radio. As you know that amateur radio use is essential in many ways. So ... I think that we will see something for amateurs before this bill becomes law.

I disagree Amateur Radio operators should be exempt from Bill 16 except participating in search, rescue or emergency situation. This is written in Bill 16

Bill 16 does not apply to:
"an individual driving or operating a vehicle who is using
2-way radio communication while participating in a
search, rescue or emergency management situation, or"

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Difference

Is there a difference between operating a two way radio and an amateur radio? I understand one can be used for business and the other not. But? Besides, when the first freezing rain/snowfall of the season hit Calgary in November, there was more information of road conditions coming from amatuer radios ops. than any other source, especially with transit iDen. And the Bill says just looking at an electronic device is illegal, unless it gives information on the performance of the automobile. Thus scanners would be illegal to view while driving.

JoeyC

People make waaaaay too much out of these types of laws. When you are driving you are supposed to be paying attention to driving, not fiddling with electronic toys. These laws come about as additional charges to file on people who are careless and cause accidents when they should be paying attention to the road. They aren't there to harrass amateurs, scanner owners or CBers who are driving responsibly.

SCPD

QRT
Personally I think that amateur radio operators should be exempted. Why .. cause I am getting a 2 meter radio in a couple of days and don't want to be ticketed for talking to my fellow hams.

YouTube - The Simpsons on Ham Radio

I do think that cell phones should be illegal to use in cars (unless they are pulled over). I have seen too many morons trying to talk and drive. Don't get me started when it comes to driving and texting. I think that people who try to drive and text should face a 30 day drivers license suspension. It has been shown that this is more dangerous than being impaired.

Last edited:

JoeyC

Personally I think that amateur radio operators should be exempted. Why .. cause I am getting a 2 meter radio in a couple of days and don't want to be ticketed for talking to my fellow hams.

Cellphone users (and texters) feel the same way. What makes your jabbering with mike in hand any different than talking on the cell (while driving)?

SCPD

QRT
Not to be disrespectful, but I think that most anyone on these forums will tell you that amateur radio provides a more valuable service than sending text messages.

Historically, at least in Canada anyways, I believe that the provinces that have a distracted driver law on the books have exempted anyone that is federally licensed and is in possession of a valid Amateur Radio Callsign. But only time will tell to see what Alberta does.

smason

So as long as you are providing a "valuable service" you can be distracted changing frequencies on your 2m mobile, and smash into the car in front of you?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Police and fire and ems and ....

And any of the Public Service agencies especially with one person in the vehicle while driving can be distracted. And commercial business operating two way radios [or CB as the government information states] or yapping on iDEN are devoid of every being distracted? One shoe doesn't fit all with this proposed distracted law. These are just as dangerous as any distractions in a vehicle, so if banned from one should be banned from all. At least then I would not have to listen to the swearing and the berating of a fellow courier, who on a daily basis, demeans a courier driver.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I've often wondered about the exemptions on these types of laws.....how come an officer can type a plate into an MDT at 60 MPH, and it's safer than a person texting?

Status
Not open for further replies.